Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Goldwing 1800. I purchased a J&M Digital Music Player that takes the place of the OEM honda cd player. It is a plug and play type installation, one end plugs into the 14 pin connector, under the seat, that goes to the audio system, the other end plugs into the music player, Model JMDM-Gl18. If I put a USB thumbdrive in the player the thumbdrive blinks about 6 times, showing some power, but the red light on the player does not come on, meaning no power. I can not get the cd display to show when I push down on the cd button on the audio system controls. I called a friend of mine that has a 2008 goldwing and he advised that his cd button does nothing when he pushes it either. Is there something you have to do to get the cd part of the audio system to function and display on our goldwings before you can get a cd player to work?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If your friend does not have a CD installed on his bike then the button will not do anything when pushed, I guess you do have your key turned on. If all else fails call J&M they are real good at helping with the trouble shooting. I don't have one of thos on my Wing so I'm sorry but I can't help you with that one. I looked at their site and it shows plug and play, You might have a bad unit or maybe it's not plugged in tight, did you hear a click when you put the plugs together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe

I did have the key on in the run position and accesory position, did not help to bring up the CB display. Did make sure that both connections were seated properly. Called the Honda dealer in my area this morning, they say that you have to have a cd or cd device plugged into the 14 pin connector for the cd button to work and a display on the dash, so that accounts for my friends 2008 Cd button not working, he has no Cd installed. Another friend of mine thinks that the SD card and the USB thumbdrive unit are not formatted properly to get the dash board to accept that the unit is working, thus no display or power. I'll try and re-format both and see if this helps. I have both the card and thumbdrive formatted to FAT32. I just added some songs in MP3 format and WMA format to them, thought that would be enough to make the unit work and play the songs,.....guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JMDM GL18 Lessons Learned

I've been researching most of the problems with the JMDM GL18 and BikeMP3 players over the last months and created a list of "Lessons Learned", or what you might call the "Do's" and "Don'ts" to make it work flawlessly. I wrote up my findings and posted them on my WEB site. The following URL is to my personal WEB server:

http://www.k7tty.com/motorcycle/virtualcdplayersoftware.htm

Following is a Instruction Video on using the software:

Also put together a Helpful Hints video (with improved video quality):

I currently own the JMDM GL18 and it's installed on a 2008 "standard" GoldWing. It plays all 10 CD volumes with 99 song/tracks per CD for a total of 990 songs/tracks using a software tool that I created.

K7TTY

·
Registered
174 Posts
For What Ever It's Worth

I have the Sound Gate device to use the CD controls with my iPod on my 2008 Wing. It has worked perfectly since January of this year, UNTIL last week. I am having the same problems described above. There seems to be something that disables the CD button on the audio controls. I have had it come back on and work fine, but after I put the bike away and come back the next day, it doesn't work. It also seems to lock up my iPod, and I have to reset the player before I can even use it as a stand alone with the headset. It is a puzzlement to me so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1800 Audio Problems

Hello all,

I experienced a similar problem today with the JM Digital Music player. The 14 point wire came loose while riding. I then lost all radio functionality, including the intercom, CB, AM/FM and Aux. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not to be disrespectful, but, don't you all have a TV and cd players in your living room? Did you forget that you are on 2 wheels and the whole concept or did too much butter get in your soul? CB?, pull over, get your mobil phone going...

What's next? I'm doing 80 and the bugs on my screen are not the ones I'm familiar with, can someone google my windshield and tell it what to do, please !!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello all,

I experienced a similar problem today with the JM Digital Music player. The 14 point wire came loose while riding. I then lost all radio functionality, including the intercom, CB, AM/FM and Aux. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
I suggest staring over with the mp3, except reloading the music.
If it came unplugged while riding and the CD button was still engaged it is possible that it is trying to find the CD. Turn off the switch reconnect the mp3 and see what happens.
Not to be disrespectful, but, don't you all have a TV and cd players in your living room? Did you forget that you are on 2 wheels and the whole concept or did too much butter get in your soul? CB?, pull over, get your mobil phone going...
When I was young I thought the same way. Now I enjoy all the comfort I can get. By the way this is a Goldwing forum.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
52 Posts
Problem solved

As far as comforts on a bike, to each his own. Asstor, why bother giving your input to a subject you don't care about. It should not be your concern.

I look at and interact in these forums to learn, share and solve problems, and help others with a similar hobby. Not to criticize their likes and dislikes.

As far as my problem with the radio, it came down to a dying battery. Replaced the bike battery and all is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cd putton not working with jm player

2002 Goldwing 1800. I purchased a J&M Digital Music Player that takes the place of the OEM honda cd player. It is a plug and play type installation, one end plugs into the 14 pin connector, under the seat, that goes to the audio system, the other end plugs into the music player, Model JMDM-Gl18. If I put a USB thumbdrive in the player the thumbdrive blinks about 6 times, showing some power, but the red light on the player does not come on, meaning no power. I can not get the cd display to show when I push down on the cd button on the audio system controls. I called a friend of mine that has a 2008 goldwing and he advised that his cd button does nothing when he pushes it either. Is there something you have to do to get the cd part of the audio system to function and display on our goldwings before you can get a cd player to work?
I need help. my jm player works on my 03 trike but it wont work on my 01 goldwing, yes I have two harnesses, the 01 cd button won't work at all. any help, please

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site George. To all posters on this issue, has anyone contacted John at J&M to see if there is some support/assistance from their end? He's always been very forthright with any questions I had.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Budoka is right in several respects. Plus, if you go to WingStuff and read the reviews on this item you will find that the CF card supplied is critical to its operation. It must be loaded a certain way and many have had problems with that causing crazy things to happen. Read those reviews and there may be some answers there.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi, guys, I see this is an old post but thought I would share a recent experience with my CD button not working.
I have a soundgate ipod controller on my 2010 GW. I have removed the CD player totally from the bike and connected the sound gate . (I used to have the BikeMP3 ipod player but found it was draining the battery all the time)
Anyway last weekend halfway through a weekend away the CD button stopped working. Once home I removed the seat to try and find the problem. All the connectors were secure. I disconnected the unit and plugged it in again but it still didn't work. I left it unplugged overnight and it still made no difference. To see if the system was ok and there was power going to the plug I plugged the original cd stacker back in (lucky I still had it). It appeared to be working fine and my CD button now worked. I then removed the cd stacker agin and plugged the soundgate back in. For some reason this fixed the problem, it appeared to 'reset' the system.
The soundgate has only been in for a few months so I hope this isn't something that will be required regularly.

Sorry for the long post but this frustrated me and I hope to save anyone else some time trying to fix this problem.

Regards,
Mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the same problem cd button not working on my 02 goldwing for my cd player in the trunk.any suggestion?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the thumb drive from J&M and it works fine when pushing the CD button and making sure the Audio Button is turned on, also. I did have a problem at one time but it was the thumb drive took a dump. I reloaded a new thumb drive and installed it and everything was back to normal. Sometimes, like today when I want to change CD discs it won't change. The instructions say to hold the up or down button for a few seconds but while riding it doesn't always work. But when I stop turn the key off and later come back to ride and change the disc at that time it will change to any disc I want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts