Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the limit is for a starter on A goldwing for cold crank amperage.
The Shorai has a line of batteries that is 24 and even 36 amp of CCA. I know the initial movement of any motor is the hardest on it but I think most of the Wing batteries are 18 CCA. Can you burn out your starter or am I looking at this wrong. As you can tell my electrical knowledge is not too good.
Thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
455 Posts
Here is little information recommended by Schumacher, a leader in battery chargers.

Cold-Cranking Amps

Cold-cranking amps (CCA) measure the battery's ability to start your vehicle even on an extremely cold weather. During freezing condition, your vehicle will be hard to start (or to ignite) because the vehicle engine oil thickens and chemical reactions, in turn, slow down.

The cold-cranking amps also refer to the number of amps a battery will be able to support for 30 seconds at 0 degree temperature (until battery voltage reaches below minimum level).

Choosing a battery with a high number of CCA is better; particularly to those vehicles being driven in a cold climate. A higher cold-cramping amps assure that your vehicle's engine will start obediently even on snowy mornings.

Battery - is a type of battery that can be recharged. Its main purpose is to supply electricity to a vehicle. The battery is also referred as an SLI battery. Starting-Lighting-Ignition: to give power to the starter motor, the lights, and the ignition system of the engine.

Cranking (starting) - also known as shallow cycle type, intended to release rapid surges of energy to start a vehicle's engine.

Obviously, you won't have to bother with much CCA if you're living in a tropical or warm climate. Since the sole purpose of your battery is to spurt electricity to crank your engine and also to supply power other accessories.

Difference between CCA and CA

CCA (cold-cranking amps) - indicate how much electrical power the battery can deliver to the starter engine, at zero degree Fahrenheit.

CA (cranking amps) - This is another measure of electric current in the battery, taken at 32 degrees Fahrenheit or at freezing point. When seen on battery case or label, the CA rating is usually higher than the CCA rating.

Tips on Choosing the Suitable Cold-Cranking Amps Rating's:

1. Check your owner's manual and follow the CCA rating specified for your battery.
2. Do not choose batteries with CCA rating which is much lower or much higher to the rating recommended by your manufacturer, as well as those CCA rating of 200 amps or more.
3. If both your battery brand and exact CCA rating level are not available, you may choose a bit higher (not much and not lower) your CCA requirements.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A pipe smoking engineer that said I sold his daughter a battery that had too many cca and it burned out the starter. I reminding h9im of ohms law and the starter will onlt draw the amps that the EMF and restance allow. She either continued to crank when it wouldnt start or drove two miles on the starter. I told him I would be happy to put a smaller battery in her car but we need to find out why this happen`d. Turns out she was out of fuel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the excellent explanations...and your time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts