Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've moved this one around a bit before, but just in the yard from the shop to the showroom, and from the trailer to the show venue, never actually out on the street. This time, I rode it over the same route as I did the 2012 Wing and got a taste of what the bike was about.
The heart of the 600SA is a retuned version of the CBR600rr engine. A bit more torque down low and more midrange instead of the spool it up screamer top end nature of the pure sport version. Very smooth and tractable, street friendly almost to the point of docile. Handling is precise and predictable and the suspension is great. Swallows bumps with no drama and even over undulating whoops in mid corner the bike stays planted with no wallow or excess cush to put the bike off line, something I thought was evident (but certaily not prevalent) in the new VFR1200. Ergos are about right for my frame 5'11/200# but 6 plus footers should have no complaints with the riding position. Very much more of a standard than a sport bike the position is in between upright and crouched forward, with the bias towards upright. It reminds me of its former big brother the CB900 (or 919 if you prefer), one of my all time favorite all round bikes. Shifts are snick snick easy and seemless (as are all Honda street sport trannies) especially after being on the heavier shifting GL. The mini fairing is 'adequate' but not not going to do you any real favours in inclement conditions. There is a full tour pack available from Hondaline Accessories so one up long distance travel is very doable provided the seat is up to it (I think it's a better perch than my stock ST1300 was:confused:) and it has the similar 3 position adjustment. The screen also has a couple manual height adjustments to provide a bit more wind deflection for the open road. Linked ABS brakes are powerful and linear. The suspension is preload adjustable, but I found the showroom stock setting just fine for my em, bulk.
If there is something to complain about on this bike, there is a definite lack of drop it or lay down protection anywhere. Those little curb side mishaps or going down while in motion are going to produce some damage to the engine cases and then some; everything is exposed. Solution: keep the rubber on the road or pay up.
Verdict: This is a very nice motorcycle, a great mid-size mount for someone that wants a do-it-all fun bike. Smooth, comfy, and nimble with a decent hint of sportiness. I prefer a litre sport bike to a 600cc, the 600 needs to be run in the upper rev range to get the adrenaline going, and I don't care for the razor edge powerband any more (I think it's my 55 years that says that). However, I found the SA's engine to be a bit bland, but just bear in mind my curent sport steed (RC51, is a v-twin torque monster) has gobs of torque everywhere and the CBR heritage of the 600SA still requires a hefty dose of revs to stir your soul, or get things moving in a hurry. It's also relatively inexpensive at $8100 Cdn for a brand new 2010 vs $9600 Cdn for the '12 which is virtually unchanged save for the paint work.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
nice writeup red baron but can you get a pic of the bike

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I meant to do that but I got side-tracked and hit the submit button. Then I actually had to sign out and do that work thing...the nerve of it all. Here ya go:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Thanks for the report Daryl. Sweet looking ride. Do you suppose you could cover some miles on it????? Or is it a less than 200 miles at a time bike?

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are a fun scoot. With the screen raised and if the seat is ok, it should be fine for a full day in the saddle. It's only got a 5 gal US tank so you'd be stopping for fuel in about 200 miles anyway. Like I said, the seat felt better to me than my stock ST did so. Tests I've read say the seat is the only 'sore' spot on the otherwise very good ergos.

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Might be a little scoot for the future.;)

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
too bad it doesn't come as a 750

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
Mindreader;):rolleyes:

Used to really like the looks of the 700 (neo Deuville). Too bad it was so anemic.
for older guys like us 750 is the majic number

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing in 750, but there are these two: NC700SA and NC700XA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Nothing in 750, but there are these two: NC700SA and NC700XA
Daryl, do they still make the Honda 700NT? Rode one a few years back and seemed like a nice beginners sports tourer.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NT750 never made to to Canada. There is no production of '12, but there might be some left over '11s still. I can't look up on my locator for US though:(

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Daryl, do they still make the Honda 700NT? Rode one a few years back and seemed like a nice beginners sports tourer.
Dan those are the ones I was referring to. They were originally market in Europe & called a Deauville. Honda changed them to NT700 assuming maybe U.S. market wouldn't buy something sounding so French??? Maybe?

Anyway the knock on them, although very stylish, easy to handle/ride & affordable was they were also very Anemic/Sluggish & no they aren't made anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts