Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not done a lot of riding in the last couple of months or so. But I decirded to go down to Frosty's on my CB250RS (David). I have wanted to ride that bike to Frosty's for so time now. It is as opposite to the Goldwing as you can get. The weight is 235lbs and it has only 26hp, plus it has little weather protection. I wanted to test how far it could go on a tank of gas when it has to work hard on the open road.
We ae in our winter now and the weather is cold and wet. After checking the weathter (clearing showers) I thought, yep, I am going to do this.
The temp is 50f and the cloulds as I set off from home. It take's 30 minuites to clear the city and start to climb up into the Adelaide Hills. Light rain starts at the base of the hills. The 250 keeps up with the traffic and within the first hour the rain eases to light scattered showers. I was hoping to get 140 mile out of the first tank of gas which would have got me to the halfway point. The wind was about 15 mph head/side wind and we were crusing at 60 mph. This road is the main road from Adelaide to Melbourne and is quite a busy road. I wanted to maintain 60 mph, which the bike was doing.Then the motor dies and I think, put the gas onto reserve. The motor pick up straight away. So a quick check shows that I have gone to reserve at 110 miles. I am not going to make 140 miles on this tank. So I have top up with gas at the 115 miles and it took 2.2 gallons.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I rang Frosty up to give him my progrees report so that he could come out and ride in with me. Not wasting anytime I was back on the bike and on my way again in about 10 minuites. I wanted to make it in a good time. I meey Frosty just out of Naracoorte. Frosty pulled a Uturn and we met at the service station where I was to get gas again. It was 115 miles again and 2.2 gallons.
Frosty asked me what speed I could maintain and I told him 60-65 mph and he said he would lead. He was setting a cracking speed of 75 mph and I was flat out, tucked in, head down to keep up. At about 5 mile from Frosty's place, the chain came off. I was wanting to change out the chain, sprockets and rear tire in about 1000 miles and do it all at once. Well I have missed judge how quick the chain can wear. Not good.
I was happy with how the bike performed. I covered 290 miles in 5.5 hours from poin A to point B. I thought the mpg's were down from what I thuoght I would get. But it is good to know just how far I can go on a tank of gas when you work it hard.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
My first motorcycle Eric was a 1964 YDS3 Catalina. It was a 250cc two stroke twin with auto lube (oil injection). Had a friend with an YDS3 without oil injection and his bike was faster. In those days I lusted for the bad boy, the Suzuki X6 Hustler, another 250 twin. That size motorcycle is a hoot to ride. Lots on the bottom end and nothing on top. Great memories of living on the coast in California and riding back in 68. Sounds like a good ride Eric.
Here's a link to the Yamaha YD series. http://tiddlerosis.blogspot.com/2009/01/yamaha-yds-2.html

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Great ride report.

My first bike was a CB160.... 55 was the best it could do with a 160 lb rider. Now, sadly at 260, I don't think it could haul me.

I had a Honda Rebel 250 and it would get to 70 but that was the best it could do.

My Honda Helix 250 could get 75 if everything was just right.......and that was hauling this 260 lb frame around.

The Honda 400 Automatic I had would top out at 70.

400cc Suzuki Burgman would go right up to 105 without any trouble.

500cc Kawasaki Vulcan could reach 90 but that is all it had.

600cc Honda Silverwing will go right up to 110 and get there fast. This is the fastest motorcycle I have ever owned...... and I have had several.

I still like the lower cc bikes. I wish there was a size proportion to them. The smaller bikes are all smaller framed bikes. I would like a Suzuki or Honda 250 that had a little more room between the seat and the pegs for comfort. I guess, more size, more weight, which means more hp necessary.

I had a 49cc Puch moped that would go 35 mph and it got 150 mpg.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Good Fun Eric. Nice report, when you come to PA you can take the Nighthawk for a little jaunt if you wish.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
thats a really small gas tank. my nighthawk 450 hold about 3gallons but we stop every 80 - 90 miles to fill it up

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Thanks for the ride report, Eric. I always liked 250cc on/off bikes. I mainly rode one in Florida many years ago riding/jumping the hills of Casperson's Beach road in Venice, FL.

I know a guy who at 62 years old a year ago rode a 250cc from Minnesota to Barrow, Alaska! Of course, he's a major Iron Butt dude, BunBurner and anything else they have to offer. Boy's pretty stout. Hoo-Ya!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Thanks for the ride report, Eric. I always liked 250cc on/off bikes. I mainly rode one in Florida many years ago riding/jumping the hills of Casperson's Beach road in Venice, FL.

I know a guy who at 62 years old a year ago rode a 250cc from Minnesota to Barrow, Alaska! Of course, he's a major Iron Butt dude, BunBurner and anything else they have to offer. Boy's pretty stout. Hoo-Ya!
The human endurance for pain is very great. ;) Read about 2 dudes who rode 50cc mopeds from San Franciso to South America. They got very good at doing an engine rebuild in a day as they did several on that trip.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Interesting write-up Eric. Curious as to how you dealt with the chain, did you carry a spare? The new Honda CBR250 gets about 80mpg or so they say...dunno though, I haven't ridden one for myself. I have ridden the CBR125 and they get very close to 100mpg (Cdn not US btw), but they are really gutless out on the open road, can't hold 60 mph in 6th gear with my carcass on it.

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Thanks for the report, glad your “other” ride did what you expected.

My son has a 250 Suzuki street bike that he has rode some on what I would call long trips. His first year at college was 250 miles from home and while home moved 100 miles closer, his friends were still down on the coast. (We moved off the coast to the middle of the state the same time he started college.) He took a few too many trips down there for the weekend, even in the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.