Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to add CB to my 2010 GL1800, and want just one folding antenna. That’s important because I have a low garage door and have to fold down the antenna each time I come home. I don’t want to mess with two antennas, and I think I want stay with foldable not detachable.

I understand I can split one antenna, but it needs to be a CB antenna to share to radio (AM/FM/WB), not a radio antenna to share to CB. I guess there is some debate from the CB purist side about whether you get the best CB performance that way, but as long as it’s pretty good / debatable and not plain stupid, I’m OK with the split antenna. I understand it needs to be tuned.

I’m thinking this will work well on the existing radio base:
1. 3 foot Firestik Firefly FL antenna (link)
2. folding adapter (link)
3. splitter (link)

My questions:

a. Do both of the OEM CB and FM bases use the same thread? So that adapter (#2 above) will work on my existing FM base, not only on the CB base (which I don’t have)?

b. Instead of the pricey folding adapter ($48), can I do something clever with OEM or aftermarket bases to solve one of my other problems at the same time? I have a crack in the plastic housing of my current antenna base from early days when I gooned it up by raising the garage door into it. I wouldn’t mind cleaning that up. Unfortunately, the plastic housing doesn’t seem to be its own part, the only OEM option is to replace the whole base. I did a little hot glue work and it is OK, I don’t think any of the gizzards are broken, reception seems fine, pretty sure it is just a little cosmetic thing. There is just a little play if I push the base fore & aft, but I think that is the way the strap works not a break in the lower part of the mast. In my little fantasy, the OEM or another CB base mount will mount on the right (NOT left) side in place of the stock OEM radio antenna, will fold, will take a normal CB antenna with 3/8-24 thread without the adapter, and won’t cost much more than the adapter -- I get the antenna plus I get rid of my cracked/glued plastic. Any help/advice with that delusion?

c. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I’ve found some references and ideas, but most of them are for a left side antenna.

Thanks for any good ideas or comments. BTW, I think I’ll be going with the GL2Way CB and the FRS harness option, too.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2010 tfdeputydawg, and I edited the OP to note.

Dual phase (your last link) is out. 2nd link is pretty much what I outlined, just that's all in one from sierra-mc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, thanks for that follow up. I hadn't noticed the shorter length on the dual set up. My 3' OEM antenna hits my garage door but a 2' would clear. So that option is in play and maybe even is attractive because I wouldn't have to fold anything.

I'll have to look at performance and balance against higher cost, not just of the kit but also of at least one more base and maybe two if I replace the cracked one I've got.

Any idea how 2x2' performance compares to 1x3'? My main concern is intra-convoy chatter not really reaching out far, but it never hurts to be able to project.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Oh, thanks for that follow up. I hadn't noticed the shorter length on the dual set up. My 3' OEM antenna hits my garage door but a 2' would clear. So that option is in play and maybe even is attractive because I wouldn't have to fold anything.

I'll have to look at performance and balance against higher cost, not just of the kit but also of at least one more base and maybe two if I replace the cracked one I've got.

Any idea how 2x2' performance compares to 1x3'? My main concern is intra-convoy chatter not really reaching out far, but it never hurts to be able to project.
Call Sierra and ask for Wayne. I have not used the shorter 2' antennas. I can tell you with my 3' antenna, properly tuned SWR, I can talk 4 to 6 miles depending on time of day/night it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts