Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts on CB Radio’s. We usually don’t ride with a group, only because we do not know enough other riders yet. But think it would be nice to communicate with others when pass them as we travel. Do a lot of wing riders use their CB or even own one? Do truckers still use them or are they going to newer technologies? Trying to decide if I want spend $600 on a CB or not. Thanks

·
Administrator
25,076 Posts
got one, never use it but I'll see what happens if I ever hook up a Freewire....

Reactions: VIBlackfish

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
A CB is one of the first things I added to my Gold Wing. We rode in groups so it was very useful. Truckers use them and so do a lot of Wing riders groups but it is hit n miss to find a station they are on. If you don't ride in a group you really don't need one, you have intercom to communicate with your passenger, carry a cell phone in case something happens and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
16,841 Posts
WE have a CB and use it a lot. We do ride with a group at times and it is very helpful.

A lot of Wing riders belong to the Gold Wing Road riders Assoc (GWRRA). and their channel of chose when on the road is Channel 1.and there are thousand of GWRRA members out there.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
purchased one for my ‘08, used it maybe 4 times in 10 years....if you don’t ride in a group I wouldn’t get one.

I am also a professional truck driver and have a CB in my tractor.....the BS you hear on it quite-frankly is annoying. I only use that one if traffic is backed up and I want to see what’s up.

Otherwise with today’s technology most truckers use cell phones now, even for traffic.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Why I use a CB

I use the CB often and find it very helpful

1. It acts as an early warning system for me when not leading a ride. Road kill (what track?), dogs running on the side of the street, crazy drivers pulling out in front of us, deer on the side of the road, 'Full Grown Bear' warning, etc...

2. It might act as a 'life saver' (Channel 9) if you have a cell phone carrier that lost the signal.

I like to get as much information ahead to make an appropriate and safe decision. I know it is not a question of If, but When - I get involved in an accident. That WHEN I try to push as far as I can, keep my organs as long as I can in this body - not someone elses.

·
Super Moderator
14,922 Posts
When I bought my bike we were riding on group rides a lot with my local GWRRA. So the CB was very useful. But sometimes a few people wouldn't shut up and ride and that was annoying. But for the most part I liked the communication about turns and hazards.

Now I still use it with those who have one on my GWOF rides. As for riding by other Wing riders, I've only had one say anything back. If I'm not on a group ride I don't turn it on. So, it's nice, but if I was starting out now I would pass. Of course this is just one riders opinion. If you want it go for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,812 Posts
My 98 came with a CB and I enjoyed having it. Back then I rode with folks who had one also so it was nice to stay in contact with them on the rides. When I bought my 09 it was an option and I did not get one. By then most of my friends had gotten rid of their bikes so I did not miss it. If you ride in a group with folks who have them they are good to have. If you ride with folks who do not have one they are not as useful.

I guess my point is if it came on the bike that would be fine, but if I had to spend $ 600 for one I would probable pass.

The nice thing about the Wing is if your riding changes and you find you travel with folks that have one then you can always add one.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Thinking we will pass on CB for now like two wheel said can always add one later if the need comes up. Will spend the money on other upgrades but that is another topic. ???

·
Premium Member
16,841 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. Thinking we will pass on CB for now like two wheel said can always add one later if the need comes up. Will spend the money on other upgrades but that is another topic. ������
That C.B money will buy a lot of BLING "Chrome" don't listen to the Anti Bling Guys. Remember "BLING is the Thing":wink2::laugh2::laugh2:

BLING is also know as Safety Chrome!!!!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
My four different Goldwings all had CBs. Riding with my special friends we would carry on normal conversations about anything from how to fix something to the scenery we are passing, when and where to stop for a break. When riding alone on a trip I could listen to the truckers warnings about traffic, smokies, weather, etc. I find that having a CB is an asset when needed but it isn't always on when I ride with friends with Harleys or my son with his crotch rocket.

Reactions: Ron Hill

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
TAL (Tom) and I belong to the same GWRRA chapter, one of the most active in the region. I go on about 40 group rides per year, and lead at least a 1/4 of those. Its almost a requirement for me. But even if I'm riding with only one other person, its still good to have.

As for contacting other riders when you're alone, that's gonna be pretty rare because you'll probably have a range of less than two miles.

So for you to wait is the best thing. Wait till you find yourself riding with a group often, maybe 10 times a year. You might even be ready for a different bike by then and installing now would be a waste of the installation/removal cost.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
My son and I use ours quite often. It's for sure that you will never miss having a CB until you need it. :grin2: Isaac

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
Looking for thoughts on CB Radio’s. We usually don’t ride with a group, only because we do not know enough other riders yet. But think it would be nice to communicate with others when pass them as we travel. Do a lot of wing riders use their CB or even own one? Do truckers still use them or are they going to newer technologies? Trying to decide if I want spend $600 on a CB or not. Thanks
I too want one for some of the same reasons but more specifically for keeping up with changing road conditions, traffic alerts, weather alerts or changes in traffic patterns, bear traps ahead and for an assortment of other misc reasons. Have used them off and on down through the years and found them very helpful at times and sometimes just a distraction from the routine mundane long drives chatting with other folks on the road. Met a quite a bit of friendly folks out there.

Currently I'm having a new 2021 GW CSC Trike being built in a local custom shop and hopefully be getting it within the next couple of weeks. Having a good bit of custom work done to it and a complete repainting job and considering a CB radio. Not sure whether it should be a Honda GW specific CB kit or just try to find any other (as in a Cobra as an example) brand and try to fit it to the bike. Thinking one made specifically for my bike might be the way to go, what with the wiring and mounting accessories and switches and all would make life so much smoother. Am I right in that thinking even though these radios are quite a bit more expensive? An inquiring mind wants to know.

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
Why I use a CB

I use the CB often and find it very helpful

1. It acts as an early warning system for me when not leading a ride. Road kill (what track?), dogs running on the side of the street, crazy drivers pulling out in front of us, deer on the side of the road, 'Full Grown Bear' warning, etc...

2. It might act as a 'life saver' (Channel 9) if you have a cell phone carrier that lost the signal.

I like to get as much information ahead to make an appropriate and safe decision. I know it is not a question of If, but When - I get involved in an accident. That WHEN I try to push as far as I can, keep my organs as long as I can in this body - not someone elses.
Couldn't agree more with your reasonings. Sound and valid.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Ron, Does the 2021 have all the controls for the CB already installed? If so, I'd just do the Honda OEM CB, if not you can always go with a handheld CB with an external mic. I used to ride with a guy that used one, worked out great, he put the radio inside his riding jacket and had the speaker/mic up on his shoulder.

Reactions: Ron Hill

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
Ron, Does the 2021 have all the controls for the CB already installed? If so, I'd just do the Honda OEM CB, if not you can always go with a handheld CB with an external mic. I used to ride with a guy that used one, worked out great, he put the radio inside his riding jacket and had the speaker/mic up on his shoulder.
Thanks, that's a consideration. Not sure about the control fixtures as the bike is still in the custom shop being repainted and built out. Turns out it is the standard Gold Wing and not the Tour I was first considering (long story) but the builder is adding most of the things to it that comes on a Tour except for the heated handle grips and seat but a wee bit unsure about the CB controls. Going to visit the shop Friday to check on the progress of the buildout and I'll check. Thanks for the idea. I checked on the Honda radio, antennae and etc. was looking at about a grand. Wow, so I'm backing off a little and will explore my options here a bit more. But I want one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, for the new bikes, by the time you buy the CB unit, the antenna and the control panel AND then pay for a few hours of install assuming you get the dealer to do it (if dealer does it at the start, it is covered under warranty), you are well North of C$1,000. Considering a car unit would only cost you a few hundred, Honda is overcharging by a rather large margin.

In the past, on GWRRA group rides, the CB was extremely useful. Buy as I haven't had a Wing for some time I don't know if the local chapter still uses CB or if they've moved to a Bluetooth Mesh Bike-to-Bike communications protocol which is less than half the price (1/4 to 1/3 the price) but for that it works best when folks have the same system.

I also used mine for communicating with truckers but that was hit and miss as many truckers are monitoring CB channels.

However, it is fun listening to broadcasts coming out of Northern Nevada!

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
123 Posts
Yeah north of a grand for sure. I've been scouring the net looking for an alternative but haven't come up with anything that looks suitable. I may just save a little moolah and go for the expensive Honda setup in a month or two. Hate to spend that kind of money but I'll again grin and bear it. Have already spent a small fortune on the custom and repaint work. What's another grand?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah north of a grand for sure. I've been scouring the net looking for an alternative but haven't come up with anything that looks suitable. I may just save a little moolah and go for the expensive Honda setup in a month or two. Hate to spend that kind of money but I'll again grin and bear it. Have already spent a small fortune on the custom and repaint work. What's another grand?! :rolleyes:
Bikes aren't cheap. I've found that if you spread out acquisitions over a few years, it doesn't seem to hurt quite as much. But then, if you get everything at one point you will likely get a better deal (especially on labour) depending upon overall demand. And, if you can do the work yourself then you'll certainly save on that.

Heck, I don't even have a GW today, not sure if I want to get one this year or wait till next year. Of course that assumes I can even get one this year, local Honda shops don't have any inventory. And with the worldwide logistics problems combined with chip shortages and Covid it may take awhile for bikes to start becoming available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts