Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Goldwing ... heck just bought it last Friday ... looking for advise.

I have a 2010 and started adding a few accessories and would like a little direction on "Is a CB radio a nice feature to have ... ? After market price seems realistic, but I hear the install is very difficult. Any advise appreciated on value proposition and install instructions.

CB Radio Yes or No ...

Thanks ....

Shifty

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Welcome & Congrats Shifty!

First off it all depends on how you plan to ride. If you will be riding mostly on your own....Don't waste your money. If you plan on riding with other Wingers (or any group with CB's) I would spend the money. Nothing like knowing what's coming around the next corner...great piece of mind. Plus the conversations can be quite good at times.

Mark

P.S. Pictures are a must!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I don't have one. As Mark said, it depends if you ride in groups or by yourself.

Personally, I am waiting for a Bluetooth set up that meets my needs.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
+1 on what Mark said. I had one on my 98 GL1500SE and liked it a lot because the person I rode with had one also. After he sold his bike I don't think I ever used it again. Don't have one on my 09 GL1800 and so far I don't miss it...

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
If you ride with other wings in a group or do group riding even with other bikes a CB is invaluable for communication to the other riders, I use mine every week on rides with the GWRRA (Gold Wing Road Riders Association) I think that every member of our chapter has a CB radio 1200,1500 or 1800.
If you do not ride with any other bikes and don't plan to then don't waste your money on one.
JMHO

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I've had mine since 93 and really enjoy it,but then all the guys I ride with all have CB.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I Would and will buy one regardless of my riding habits, However it is way down low on my priority list. I just don't like having buttons on my bike that do nothing.
however I guess I could re purpose the unused buttons, you know for a smoke screen, grenade launcher, front and back machine guns, so many buttons so many options.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with what others have already said with a couple of additions. You said the price is realistic. I don't think it is. But you can get a gl2way with antenna for about $200 less than what oem costs with antenna. Also the install was not difficult on my '08, don't know about '10.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Put many miles on with one on my bike - SHUTOFF.

Rode with a couple groups that used them. Tried to be part of the team, ended up shutting them off.

I don't see the need wouldn't spend money on it, don't care who's talking, way too nerdy for my taste especially the group nonsense. Talking to others that you're already riding with???:confused: Should be done at the restaurant or hotel.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I don't see the need wouldn't spend money on it, don't care who's talking, way too nerdy for my taste especially the group nonsense.

Could not disagree with you more on this Fossil, the information transmitted to the group while riding is priceless IE: turning left at next red light, watch out for car pulling out on right, bad left track in road ahead, watch out for the gravel in the turn coming up or we are switching from formation to single file because this road is too narrow or rough etc. Yeah you do get some of the look at the Longhorn cow up ahead or isn't it a great day to ride but for the most part the information transmitted during the group rides are about SAFETY for the group.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
That's fine we can agree to disagree.

I would say though, I would like you to think about this. By the time somone would get out the information " watch out for the gravel in the turn coming up" there is a good possibility that it would be too late for at least 1 or 2 of them.

I can say & some of my riding partners that are on this forum will attest. I've led many groups, been in group rides. Don't use a CB.
Precise, non confusing hand signals are quicker & more to the point than someone keying a mike & explaining the issue. Everyone riding paying the proper attention to the road/conditions is really about the safety of the group not a CB radio.

Like I always say Baskin Robbins has 31 Flavors for just this reason and You & I will just disagree on this topic.

It's all good.:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Put many miles on with one on my bike - SHUTOFF.

Rode with a couple groups that used them. Tried to be part of the team, ended up shutting them off.

I don't see the need wouldn't spend money on it, don't care who's talking, way too nerdy for my taste especially the group nonsense. Talking to others that you're already riding with???:confused: Should be done at the restaurant or hotel.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.
Ooooouch, had your coffee yet ?????:D:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
That's fine we can agree to disagree.

I would say though, I would like you to think about this. By the time somone would get out the information " watch out for the gravel in the turn coming up" there is a good possibility that it would be too late for at least 1 or 2 of them.

I can say & some of my riding partners that are on this forum will attest. I've led many groups, been in group rides. Don't use a CB.
Precise, non confusing hand signals are quicker & more to the point than someone keying a mike & explaining the issue. Everyone riding paying the proper attention to the road/conditions is really about the safety of the group not a CB radio.

Like I always say Baskin Robbins has 31 Flavors for just this reason and You & I will just disagree on this topic.

It's all good.:cool:
OK, agree to diagree but think about this, we ride 10 to a group over 10 we have 2 groups but the riders at the back of the group cannot see your hand signals but they can "hear" instructions while still paying attention to the road instead of watching for hand signals.

Baskin Robbins....everyone has an opinion.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Baskin Robbins....everyone has an opinion.
Vanilla here. I assume you to be a Chocolate guy. As I said it's all good. At least we're both riding.;)

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
One more plus for having a C.B. anything happening at the back of the pack can be transmitted forward. Example some idiot in a cage passing in a dangerous situation or on a bike.
To each, his own.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I like having a cb although this is my first bike with one that I have used it. My first GW was an 85 LTD but I didn't have the helmet communication to make it work. I've ridden with several GWOF members and have enjoyed the heads up about turns and stops coming up and some narration of the area we were riding in when it was new territory for me. When I rode with some new members recently in the Cascades, Ron and Betty and Larry, I enjoyed visiting with them on the cb as our short lunch break wasn't nearly enough time to chat and Ron shared info. about the area we were riding in. If you're going to join the GWRRA, it would be nice to have for group rides. I didn't think I'd use mine much when I first got my GW but just like the radio, I kinda like it.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
No actually I'm a vanilla guy too, but I do like plastic chrome, can't even begin to calculate how much I've spent on it. LOL:eek:

Like you said......it's all good!!

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
One more plus for having a C.B. anything happening at the back of the pack can be transmitted forward. Example some idiot in a cage passing in a dangerous situation or on a bike.
To each, his own.
That makes you Strawberry. Ron:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.