Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best route to go for adding a cb to my 08 gl1800 (cost,self install or dealer install ,supplier etc)?

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... Little ... I Would Go To A Cb Radio Shop And Talk With The Sales/install Tech About Which Radio Is Going To Be Best For A Custom Look And Proformance Also They Will Be Able To Tune The Cb To The Antenna ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
691 Posts
" Ron. I will put one on the Green Wing. I am looking at options to the $600.00 Honda radio. Most CB radios are about the same. Size and easy opperation are the important points for me. As Ron said, the proper ant. and tuning is the key.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you want it to be intergrated into the audio system you have to go with the Honda one. They run about $600.00 and about $80.00 for the antenna. It's plug and play but it takes about 3 hrs. to install if you never did it before, about 1 1/2 hrs. if you know what your doing. Don't worry about tuning the antenna , it won't improve it any if at all. I have done several and never tuned one and they all worked great. The instructions says to remove the trunk to drill a hole but you don't have to do that.
There is one for sale on the GWRRA board now

I have A cb radio for sale it came out of an 07 1800 it take $450.00 to buy. I have a new bike and it has one in all ready. you can email me at [email protected] or call 765 474 6971 ask for mike

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Joe ... You Are Wrong About Not Tuning A Cb To The Antenna For Best Proformance ... Sure They Will Talk But The Range Will Be Short And You Can Blow The Finals Out Of The Radio ... Nuff Said ...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the dealer puts one in it will not be tuned. I have been done it since 1992 and never had a problem with distance. or any CB radio go out. As a matter of fact a friend put one in his 88 1500, rode over 170,000 miles with it, then switched it over to his 95 and put over 160,000 miles on it all the time using the CB and never had a problem. I put one in my 92 and rode it 108,000 miles before I sold it and the CB was on all the time and never had a problem. Aand I have installed about 4 of them in 1800 Gold Wings. You can do it, I'm just saying it's not neccessary. It might perform a little better but I don't think you will even notice the difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I Was An Over The Road Truck Driver For Over 30 Years, And I Have Had Some Realy Powerful Cb Radios. On Those You Better Make Sure The Swr (standing Wave Ratio) Is Right Or You Will Certainly Blow Your Finals, On The Wing, I'm Not So Sure. I Just Got My Wing And Am Planning To Check Salvage Yards For A Cb Off A Wrecked Bike. I Think It Will Be Much Cheaper Than Buying One Online

·
Registered
20 Posts
I Still Can't Get My Windshield Back Down. Doe's The Top Panel Of The Fairing Pop Off To Access The Windshield, And If So How?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I Still Can't Get My Windshield Back Down. Doe's The Top Panel Of The Fairing Pop Off To Access The Windshield, And If So How?
... HOWDY ... DAN ... WHAT YEAR AND MODEL WING ... THEY ARE DIFFERENT ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
... HOWDY ... DAN ... WHAT YEAR AND MODEL WING ... THEY ARE DIFFERENT ... HAPPY TRAILS ...
MY WING IS A 2003 GL1800, I JUST BOUGHT IT A WEEK AGO, I WECKED MY ULTRA CLASSIC SIX WEEKS AGO I THINK I MADE A GOOD CHOICE. I AM ALSO A V.N. VET 5-67 TO 5-68

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If it's an 1800 you must bring it all the way up then lower it. If that doesn't do it than the ratcheting mechanism is stuck and you have to remove the windshield garnish to get to it.
I was also in Viet-Nam June 68 to July 69. MAG 16, Marble Mt. USMC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't pay S&H charges

I just purchased a CB for a Goldwing from Direct-line Honda and was charged almost $20 bucks shipping and handling:eek:. Charging shipping and handling on a $579 order is hideous... Told the owner (Tim) that I would take my business some place else from now on.:mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
cb radio

I looked around on the net and ebay for a cb radio, for months and couldn't have anything at all. I even called some motorcycle salvage yards for them with no luck. In July just before my trip to Wing Ding 31 I bought one from Wingstuff.com for about $599.00 and installed it myself. I am glad I bought the OEM model for ease of operation. It is so nice not having to take your hands off of the grips to use it. I attempted to adjust the swr and didn't notice any difference in performance at all and used it alot on my trip. Though it is very pricey, there is no bitting the way it intergrates with the audio system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't pay S&H charges

The point is HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR S&H Wingstuff doesn't charge for shipping for purchases over $199.00, and Hondadirect charged me $17.98 for shipping a 2.7 lb item that cost 579 big bucks. USPS charges $9.92 for 3lbs. So what is Honda direct (aka Schroaders) doing. The same as unscrupulous salers on e-bay "making a profit for overcharging for shipping". :mad: Screw the customer, I'll take my business elsewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts