Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any one ever have cb error come up on their display screen. I turned down the cb yesterday and now I can't do a thing with it.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
No, never had any error messages. By "turning it down" did you mean that you "de-selected" it and now you cannot select CB? I might suggest that you use some contact cleaner on the CB select switch. Squirt it in there and work the switch a bunch of times. The switches seem to have a habit of getting dirty and refusing to function normally.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
There has been occasions on my handlebar radio volume toggle where it does nothing. The screen shows the volume bar, but no response. It's a come and go issue.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ditto on the contact cleaner, but to add my $.02, follow up with a good blast of canned air to blow out any fine residue (wear glasses) left behind.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Try the easy stuff first, contact cleaner, if that doesn't work
try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, sometimes the CB connector plug can get corroded also. If it's an 06 or new than the plug is easy to get o if it's 01 -05 it is a little more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I found this explaination on another forum. Don't know if it is your problem, but may be.

Anything can flip out with a low battery voltage. You can't troubleshoot any system or place blame without knowing that your supply voltage is ok. The CB isn't any more susceptible to the problem than any other piece of electronics.

The CB Error is a message generated by the microprocessor in the radio, not the CB. It means that the radio has lost communications with the CB while the CB function was active. This can be either because the CB lost power, or the communications line was lost.

The most common cause for the error is a bad/dirty connection in one of the two CB connectors, either the power connector under the seat, or the large white connector up near the radio. It can also be caused by bad connections on one of the two connectors that plug in under the seat.

I don't know how long the radio has to lose communications for the error to pop up. But when cranking, battery voltage typically drops down to about 9.5 volts give or take. 10 seconds of cranking is not normal, and may be enough to cause the radio to throw out a CB error message.

The CB certainly is capable of causing this if it is bad, and so is the radio. But with an intermittent problem, I would bet on something external in the bike's wiring as the culprit.

Remember that even though dirty or oxidized connectors is by far the most common cause for intermittent connections, it is also a very real possibility that a crimp on a connector pin has gone bad, or something similar. When problems get deep like this, coupled with being intermittent, they can be very difficult to locate. We can only help you with the common causes. Once those solutions have been exhausted, you can no longer troubleshoot over the Internet. A knowledgeable technician has to be at the bike.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I'll have to buy some contact cleaner and try that first.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Let us know how you make out on this one. It may help others in the same boat..

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sprayed the cb controls with contact cleaner but it's still not working. I need to find some time to take the seat off and check the other connector. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts