Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bougth my first wing and it does not have a Cb. Its an 08 model and I was told that a oem cb you just plug right in the trunk. At the place where I though I wanted to order there was a reply with installation from someone who bougth one and how he had to take his bike apart to run all the wires. The new guy (me) would like an experience answer.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Don't let the Honda instructions scare you, You do not have to take the trunk off like the directins say. It's not a big deal to do. You need to take the dash off and loosen the top shelter to snake the wire through. Drill a couple holes in the trunk for the antenna but everything is marked, When you drill the hole in the trink for the wires to pass through you can do it without removing the trunk. Here are some pictures

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
As stated, you do not have to remove the trunk but, you do need a right angle drill for the harness/antenna cable hole.
If you buy a used one or buy off of E-bay, make sure the 2 fan motor filters and the 1 fuel pump filters are included!
Also, make sure you check and tune the SWR.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I drilled mine with a regular hole saw on a drill, if you don't have a SWR meter don't sweat it. It you can get one than fine but the Honda CB and the Honda antenna work fine together.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I drilled mine with a regular hole saw on a drill, if you don't have a SWR meter don't sweat it. It you can get one than fine but the Honda CB and the Honda antenna work fine together.
Just so you and others know. They sometimes do not work well together!
I was promised by my STEALER, I mean dealer, who installed my CB before I picked up the new bike, the SWR had been checked and everything was fine.
Well, I soon found out I could not even transmit a mile!
Since I am a CB'r from way back-even sold and installed mobiles and base units-I got the correct jumpers and my trusty SWR meter out.
I found my SWR to be 1:3+, which is absolutely unacceptable!
After careful tuning(trimming the antenna) I got the SWR down to 1:1.25 on Channel 1, which is the channel I use most.
I then have been able to transmit 4 to 6 miles depending on conditions.
Those that tell you the OEM antennas are already "tuned" are not always correct.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow!!! Now thats what I call service. Thanks for the replys. I think Im goin to love this way of comunication. Usually was lucky to look at my computer once a month. Of course I am over fifty... Now for my next question. Ive been told that there is a new intergraded CB module from MP3 web site that does the same thing as an OEM CB but you can add 2 or 3 more components for less than 500 dollars. Have you guys heard of this or does any one out there has one and can you shed some light on this...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I drilled mine with a 1" wood drill bit from the outside of the trunk with the seat off. Did not have to move trunk at all. I did not have to take the shelter all the way off. I just took out most of the screws and proped the shelter up to get access to the plug at the right front. I did not have access to a SWR meter but mine works just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts