Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I bought my bike last week and wanted to get a CB but didn't want to pay the $1000 price tag (parts and labor to install). HDL is much cheaper on everything, especially this.

The pictures on the HDL website look like it is just a bunch of quick connect plugs. Has anyone done this install (to include the antenna) yourself? I am low to moderately mechanically inclined but with only 400 miles on the bike I don't want to screw anything up.

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
I don't have a CB on my wing, but I would think that since it's a Honda accessory it should be pretty much plug and play. I know some folks have installed filters ( I think 3) that help with interference. To me the hardest part will be removal of any tupperware and drilling holes in the trunk for the antenna. I sure others on here have done this and will chime in her shortly. Good luck on your project..

·
Registered
718 Posts
I put the J&M CB on my 1500 and it was basically plug and play. Drilling holes for the antenna was pretty straight forward. It took about 4 hours but I did some other things while I had it all apart. Bought it at a rally a number of years ago - $536 for the unit and $70 for the antenna if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Here is, IMHO, the best available on the market today!
http://www.bikemp3.com/GL2WAY-Advanced-CB-System-2001-2010-V19-HGW-CBI-V01.htm?categoryId=-1
At the same time, this should be considered also:
http://www.bikemp3.com/GL1800-Digital-Music-Player-V3-HGW-IPD-V03.htm
Both units come w/mounting instructions. If you know the difference between + and - , you can install both.
I would suggest, whatever you pick, make sure you tune the SWR (matches the antenna to the CB). I have the SWR meter and cables. I loan these for the cost of postage only. PM me if you need it!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Helped a guy install a stock CB in an 1800 a while, took some time but it was plug and play. seem there was a spot marked inside the trunk where to drill.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's all plug & play, the holes are marked where to drill, you don't need to take the trunk off. Use a brad point drill bit or a step drill for the holes. It just takes time & a little expertise. Hal often runs sales, you might wait for one & get another 10% off. These things are ridiculously expensive for a $59 radio.. Guess when they've got youi by the, they can squeeze.

BTW, look at a Sierra CB antenna. It takes the place of your radio mast, and doesn't get in the way when you go for the trunk from the left side of the bike. The only down side is that the FM isn't great on the Sierra antenna. It's a 3 foot Firestick, and comes pre-tuned.

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Check ebay......I bought a brand new Hondaline cb & antenna combo for $625.00

Mark

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Let's compare:
Honda CB/Antenna from DLP = $713.99
And it's a CB and nothing more!
GL2way from Sierra Electronics = $498.99 + antenna $90.00 = $588.99
Better radio + the ability to control several other electronic devices through this system.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Let's compare:
Honda CB/Antenna from DLP = $713.99
And it's a CB and nothing more!
GL2way from Sierra Electronics = $498.99 + antenna $90.00 = $588.99
Better radio + the ability to control several other electronic devices through this system.
I'm not looking for a peeing contest here....I'm not saying which is better...I prefer the OEM & I was just pointing out to the op that you don't have to spend a grand to have a cb.

Mark

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm not looking for a peeing contest here....I'm not saying which is better...I prefer the OEM & I was just pointing out to the op that you don't have to spend a grand to have a cb.

Mark
Me neither and there was/is no intention to start one.
Just wanted the OP and others reading to know what is available these days.
Especially if some want more capability than CB only.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a chance to get a CB for a good price. Issue is it does not come with any filters. Are the filters really needed? If so can they be purchased seperalty? If so are they expensive?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a chance to get a CB for a good price. Issue is it does not come with any filters. Are the filters really needed? If so can they be purchased seperalty? If so are they expensive?
Some do and some don't. If your's does :
Fuel pump filter $19.95
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8307&str=4
Fan motor filter $35.95 each
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8306&str=4
Most radios include the filters! Checking the prices of these, if you need them, is the price of the radio you're looking still good?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
the hondaline comes with the filters.

Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
You guys are killing me. I was a owner operator for 30 years and I have never spent over 100.00 for some of the best cb's ever built. Right now in my shop I have about 10-12 working radios I've picked up over the years.To believe what a winger would pay for one of the oldest forms of limited communication is mind boggled beyond my belief. Even a bluetooth cb made by Cobra is one the most advanced manufactured radios available for 189.00. With a few cables and adapters you can even make it work with your helmet. I'm retired but I should open a cb shop just for Goldwings. Don't look for some motorcycle manufacture to create a package for 500.00 to a 1000.00. When one of the most advanced technologies available is 189.00. Oh and some of the most powerful antenna are only 60 to 75.00. I could talk a mile with a 20.00 cheap ant. that is tuned properly....Just my 2cents...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You guys are killing me. I was a owner operator for 30 years and I have never spent over 100.00 for some of the best cb's ever built. Right now in my shop I have about 10-12 working radios I've picked up over the years.To believe what a winger would pay for one of the oldest forms of limited communication is mind boggled beyond my belief. Even a bluetooth cb made by Cobra is one the most advanced manufactured radios available for 189.00. With a few cables and adapters you can even make it work with your helmet. I'm retired but I should open a cb shop just for Goldwings. Don't look for some motorcycle manufacture to create a package for 500.00 to a 1000.00. When one of the most advanced technologies available is 189.00. Oh and some of the most powerful antenna are only 60 to 75.00. I could talk a mile with a 20.00 cheap ant. that is tuned properly....Just my 2cents...
A lot of what you say is true. However, would like to see how you would "hook up" a blue tooth CB to work through the bikes OEM controls and keep the price below that of the GL2way(which is much more than just a CB)
You will not "talk a mile" on a Wing (no ground plane to speak of) w/a 20.00 cheap antenna.
However, I do agree, anything for a bike is vastly overpriced!

·
Registered
112 Posts
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/firestik-ngp-antenna-side-mount-kit-right-channel-radios.html This is what they a a NPG Ant, No Ground Plane kit and if you note it mounts very much like your other OEM Ant... And this would be one of my selections for motorcycle use... http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cobra-75-wx-st-compact-cb-radio.html This a all in one hand cb...look at the picks thinking of your bike for install and you'll see what I mean. Now as far as blue tooth adapters and routing in the helmet thru the inter-com system yes it can be done but a little more involved but not on the 500 to 1000 dollar bill...I would have to do the research but someone already makes a remote waist and headset for Motorola's I'll have to look that one up. This is what I call thinking outside the box, the honda $$$ box. Sometime I'll draw up an idea I had where you disassemble a regular cb mike and by extending the wires from an extension I had the mike in the helmet and the key button say on the handle bars. I did this in the Army when I installed CB radios in all my M60A1 tanks for my platoon to communicate . How do you think we came to be number one on all tank gunnery exercises. The command hand no idea what we were saying cause we were on a different radio. They thought we used hand signals on radio silence. We Win!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here check this link out for cost effective communication. Think if you can take a drink from your water bottle while riding than you can operate this thing while riding. http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WW As far as the other capabilities on the high dollar one I already put all that on my 88 GL1500.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
#17 & #18 show very good suggestions for some. Firestik makes excellent antennas.
My concern is removing a hand from the bike to operate the radio, also means momentary attention to riding loss!
Some years ago Sierra Electronics modified a hand held to add a handle bar mount PTT button and a headset connector and had a mounting case for the radio to the bike bars. Don't know if they still do or not!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.