Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe I don't know how to use it. Added the hondaline handlebar control to the CB that is grounded to the radio as well as plugged into the radio. I can hear the handlebar ptt keyed on my truck CB but I get no voice. I can hear the voice in my lady's helmet so I know it works with the intercom. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my 97 Aspencade

·
Super Moderator
27,580 Posts
If memory serves me correctly there are a few buttons on the controls.

One to have the CB to headsets or to the bike speakers, there is a mute button I believe, and also the squelch adjustment. You can try those.

When you hear it in your gals helmet are you listening with your helmet also???

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
I`m thinking something isn't connected right somewhere, but I'm an electro-dummy so:serious:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If memory serves me correctly there are a few buttons on the controls.

One to have the CB to headsets or to the bike speakers, there is a mute button I believe, and also the squelch adjustment. You can try those.

When you hear it in your gals helmet are you listening with your helmet also???
The intercom between us works great, loud and clear.

I will check the routing but I thought that I had it on the radio speakers. Would that matter for transmitting?

·
Super Moderator
10,936 Posts
I had that happen once. I found the push-to-talk switch needed a good cleaning. Of course that was after I tore everything apart first.

·
Super Moderator
27,580 Posts
Not sure if that would matter, been so long since I had a CB and when I did I only used it a handful of times

Agree with Kerry, a good cleaning may also do the trick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
You said you can tell it's keying because you hear the clicking at the truck?

Or does the truck have a meter so you can see the strength of the signal received?

Is this a Honda cb? The one made for the bike? And if so then the plug was a stock plug and was plug and play?

I'm not familiar with the cb, does it show you any indication it's been keyed? And or power out?
Like a red light / LED, which is typical.
Or a meter?

The ptt circuits in most radios, is a simple switch to ground, and when that happens the radio goes from receive to transmit mode.

The audio is on a separate circuit, and would normally have its own wire and sometimes a separate ground.

Newer radios are made to cut back power on transmit if there is a higher SWR.

In that scenario, if your antenna is out of tune or not connected for some reason, the radio will still go into transmit, but the power out could be cut back dramatically.
In this case, you'd hear the clicking or see the receive at your truck, but the bike cb cuts back power and no audio goes out.
Or very low power output.

Make sure your antenna is connected.
If it is all good visibly....... Then

If you know of any ham radio people in your area, ask them if they could check your antenna SWR . Allot of ham radio people have SWR meters / testers.

The radio has to have an antenna Jack somehow, that's where you'd check the SWR.

Being a cb it's going to be AM or SSB output.

And one last thing..... And this is going to sound silly but make sure you're on the right channel.
CB channels are close in frequency, if you're close, the PTT could look ( at the truck) like it's working. And it is, but your voice is on another frequency isn't making it through on the wrong channel.

We can all relate to this, how many times have we not known the kill switch was on and for a second or two didn't know why there bike wouldn't start.

I hope to get the CB for my wing soon.

Good luck
Guy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear the key (static) and see an excellent meter reading in the truck.

I didn't check the swr on the antenna. I do have a meter but the connector is not a pl 258 connector that my meter requires and I don't have the adaptor for the bike coax (whatever that am/FM radio style connector is called). I did however buy a sierra electronics am/FM-cb antenna set up that comes with a single top load antenna and breakover connector. This comes from them pre-tuned on a gl1800, so it should be close. I haven't installed it yet but will this evening.

I am also going to give the switch one heck of a bath! It is an old bike and I purchased old OEM cb parts to get this system together.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the only indication on the cb is the letters tx when you hold the ptt button. When receiving you get the dx. I think...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Probably RX for receive.

Too bad there isn't an indication of power out, like a scale from nothing to full power.

Probably not the antenna, maybe a relay on the audio line isn't switching or connected.

Idk

·
Super Moderator
27,580 Posts
Well did you get the CB working correctly???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well did you get the CB working correctly???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/quote @fossil92

Do you know if the switch for the ptt on the cb is a double pole? Or more?

If so then does it switch the cb into ptt and switch the mic audio from head set to headset to the cb?

If that's the case then cleaning the switch makes sense for sure.

Guy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure on the pole. It seems to be a sealed part. I have been cleaning it almost daily and I thi k that it is coming around. She is a sticky one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you know how many wires go into it?
Not sure on the pole. It seems to be a sealed part. I have been cleaning it almost daily and I thi k that it is coming around. She is a sticky one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Four total

Cool, then it probably does switch audio.
I'm not sure though.
I just ordered the service manual for my self, maybe it has a good schematic to show these things.

Four wires mean it's switching more than ptt.
Possibly switching audio from headset to cb. Or a relay that does more switching?

Just guessing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts