Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about th CB for my scoot. Anyone have any thoughts about the Sierra combined antenna? I don't want to add a second antenna if I can help it. I'm also considering the passenger audio controller/ptt for the CB but have heard numerous bad reports about the Honda set. J&M looks better to me and the reviews have all been good, when mounted to the right side handrail.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have heard that with the single antenna from Sierra you lose some AM & FM reception, go with the Honda CB antenna it evens out the look of the bike and is an easy install.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe, I definitely trust your judgement even if it means drilling another hole or two in my baby (oh the tears).

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I've not had any personal experience with the single antenna from Sierra, but from past experience with other things that are advertised as "dual purpose", it may work well, but usually is not the best at either. JMHO.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
I have heard that with the single antenna from Sierra you lose some AM & FM reception, go with the Honda CB antenna it evens out the look of the bike and is an easy install.
you will also need to tune your cb antenna or coax cable to a ratio of 1: 1 or as close as you can get it. the higher the ratio the more heat will build up in the cb and burn it up. if you are doing the install you will need an swr meter to tune the cb

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The single antenna from Sierra is an excellent antenna if you do not want to add the separated CB antenna. I understand it comes pretuned.
Also, as far as setting the SWR goes:
Yes, it should be checked and tuned on antennas that are not "pretuned".
1:1 ratio is not possible, but you should get as close as you can.
Tune the SWR on the channel you intend to use the most.
Knell down beside the bike when you take the meter readings and do it outside away from buildings.
The SWR will change with you and or a passenger on the bike.
When properly tuned, you may be able to talk up to approx 5 to 6 miles at times, while 2 to 3 miles will be the norm.
Motorcycles do not make good ground planes for CB antennas!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know and understand the SWR bit, being an old bucketmouth from the 70's and 80's. Do most of the guys with CB's put drain holes in the compartment? I like the idea of sealing the grommet with silicone or such where the cables come in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where is the best place to look for a cb set with all the connectors?
Is this hard to hook up?
Also where can you buy an oem or oem replacement antenna, connectors etc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depends on the year.

For 2001 and on, For the CB main unit I'd suggest either the OEM from HDL during one of the 10% off sales on every season, check out eBay but be careful to get a later series unit or the brand new added-value GL2Way OEM-like unit. For the antennas, look into sierra.com, HDL and GL2way.com.
I have purchased a 2009 GL1800

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.