Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to get a 1800 with my insurance money soon. i want the cb and was wondering if there is a comparison in quality of performance between the honda and the bikemp3 units? i see the bikemp3 has interfaces to hook up other radios and cell phone.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I've never had anything other than a Honda brand CB radio in 7 of the 8 Gold Wings I've owned. Never had an issue and the CB's always performed the way they were designed.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I had no issues with the Honda unit in my 1500, worked great IMO. I have the BikeMP3 now but haven't had a chance to test it yet (winter up here...) and not only the price difference (sorry Mother Honda) but it was the optional interfaces that I wanted.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
How well CB radios work on Gold Wings has to be with a subjective view-point. How far it will talk and hear can also have a lot to do with whom you're talking to on the other end of the microphone and how well their rig is working along with the distance, terrain and weather conditions at the time of the communications.

If a CB radio is working, the 2 factors that mostly determine how well it will perform is the power output and the antenna SWR (standing wave ratio).

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'm planning on getting one of the GL2Way radios, I like the idea of interfacing a FMS radio to it.

The real problem with the Goldwing or any motorcycle with a CB is the antenna, there just isn't enough ground plane under the antenna to make it perform as designed. The only other option would be to go to a Non-ground plane antenna, but then the idea of what to do with all the coax line comes into play. I really don't do long distance communications on the bike so non-ground plane is a non issue.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I installed the J&M cb on my Interstate way back when, don't know if they even make it anymore. Spent $600 on it, with antenna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.