Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a ride yesterday with the GWRRA. The CB is a big part of the ride because the lead rider and the tail gunner call out when to change lanes, tighten up the group, watch out for merging cars on the right etc. The CB on our 95 SE receives signals fine as we could hear every command given but on the ride back we rode back with Bent Wing 2 who is on this forum, he kept talking to us but realized that we never responded......I was trying, but he could not hear us. The communication head sets in the helmets work fine as me and the passenger communicate freely. Bent Wing said that when I keyed the talk lever he could hear static but no voice. We even stopped at a local Honda dealership on the way back where they checked things out by using a different head set but said the same thing......static would come through when I keyed talk but no voice.

When I got home I pulled the left fairing pocket out and check the wire harness for the CB. All looked OK, I checked the antenna for continuity.....all OK.

I have a theory that I want to run past the forum. I think that a previous owner had an add on Mike added at one point because there are 2 small holes on the plastic piece that the ignition switch is on but lower......I was told by the person that I bought the bike from that was where the previous owner to him had a "mike" mounted. My question is if a add on Mike is used do you cut into the audio voice wire for the CB to be able to talk? Now that there is no mike is the voice wire not connected to the intercom system? I don't see any evidence of this but I am still looking.....I am sure that a mike would have had to be spliced in somewhere to the CB but I am still looking for where. This is just a theory and I guess it is possible that I have a bad CB unit that will need to be replaced, that's what the Honda dealer said, about $700.00, if parts are available and they said that they didn't think that they would be.....they said Oh well at least you can hear through the CB.

Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
i found that i have the same problem with my cb. when i was in pa. rick was talking to me on his cb and i heard everthing but i was not transmitting

·
Registered
776 Posts
This is just my guess as I have an Interstate and have added a J&M CB, but have you cleaned the contacts of the push to talk switch? It sits out there where rain and crud can get into it.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is just my guess as I have an Interstate and have added a J&M CB, but have you cleaned the contacts of the push to talk switch? It sits out there where rain and crud can get into it.

I have not yet but I will. You may have a point, when I first tried using the CB it would not show TRX when I pushed talk......now it is so it is getting better but may not me making enough of a connection to transmit voice. My bike has seen years of non use in general so I have found lots of things working better since I got it now that it is being used.

Thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
I have not yet but I will. You may have a point, when I first tried using the CB it would not show TRX when I pushed talk......now it is so it is getting better but may not me making enough of a connection to transmit voice. My bike has seen years of non use in general so I have found lots of things working better since I got it now that it is being used.

Thanks for the advice
Steve, Ron told me about this; contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Comes in a small spray can.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got to the talk switch......what a bi*%^.
3 small phillips screws hold the 2 halfs of the switch housing together.....be careful the screws will fall out the bottom.....don't ask me how I know......still looking for one of them. The talk switch itself has the wires soldered onto the switch, I'm a little apprehensive about taking the lever out of the switch because there is a spring there and history tells me that it will fly out never to be found again......don't ask me how I know this.....another story but I am hopeful that if I flood the switch with contact cleaner and work the lever several times that it will find it's way to the contacts in the switch....or should I go ahead and take the switch apart chancing the spring on the lever being an issue?? Heading to Radio Shack to check on buying the contact cleaner.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
I got to the talk switch......what a bi*%^.
3 small phillips screws hold the 2 halfs of the switch housing together.....be careful the screws will fall out the bottom.....don't ask me how I know......still looking for one of them. The talk switch itself has the wires soldered onto the switch, I'm a little apprehensive about taking the lever out of the switch because there is a spring there and history tells me that it will fly out never to be found again......don't ask me how I know this.....another story but I am hopeful that if I flood the switch with contact cleaner and work the lever several times that it will find it's way to the contacts in the switch....or should I go ahead and take the switch apart chancing the spring on the lever being an issue?? Heading to Radio Shack to check on buying the contact cleaner.
Try the contact Cleaner first. For future reference on the other switch. try the contact cleaner first before taking things apart. It could save you a lot of grief. Just last summer I solved the Tx. issue on an 1800 by flushing out the push to talk switch.
Wish you luck on this one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts