Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed a new Honda CB on my 08 Goldwing. With the CB on I am getting a very loud eng/alternator noise in my headset. Any suggestions? I called the dealer and they had none. I won't stick around for answers, so please waste your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barry
Did you install all 3 filters.
I am having the same problem and thought it was my XM on AUX. Not ground loop isolator on that one. I disconnected the XM at the plug under the left pocket but did no good. The question I have with mine is if disconnected can a whine still occurr. Hope you find your problem but like I said make sure you put on 3 filters with CB Unit.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
BarryC, welcome to the forum from Pa. Glad you found us. Where is home for you? Does sound like a filter issue. Hope you find it. I'm sure others will chime in here shortly..

·
Banned
5 Posts
The three CB filters are for the fuel pump and each of the fans. There is no OEM filter supplied with the CB radio for the Alternator/ignition/fuel-injector noise sources.

A possible source of these noises being injected are a poor connection at the 13-pin Sumitomo CB control cable connector underneath the shelter. Pins 2, 5 and 10 are the ones to focus on. Clean that connector first. Check all antenna grounds too, as they form part of the ground shield as well.

If these form a continuing noise source on your CB, they either indicate problems in you Alternator, ignition or fuel-injectors; or a need for traditional fixes that are available at most CB and Radio shops.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Please explain how you are sure the noise is the alternator?
Do you have the 3 filters?
Are they properly installed?
What kind of noise do you have w/just the I-com on?
Did you properly ground the antenna?
Might try a call to http://www.sierra-mc.com/

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just installed one on my '08 last week. I don't know the range yet but it is extremely clear on Transmitting & Receiving even with my old 154 J&M headsets. I did use the 3 filters.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
One more very important question I forgot in my earlier post!
Where do you have the squelch set??????
If you are unfamiliar w/CB operation, it's easy to overlook the adjustable squelch. Proper setting is to increase the squelch until the "static' is silenced.
Mine can be as low as 3 or 4 early in the day and later when the sun goes down. Have to turn it up to as much as 8 to 10 during the afternoon and early evening.
Also, when traveling in a group, I usually turn it up to where I can still hear the farthest away bike in the group and squelch out farther away traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you put all of the filters on that came with the radio

Just installed a new Honda CB on my 08 Goldwing. With the CB on I am getting a very loud eng/alternator noise in my headset. Any suggestions? I called the dealer and they had none.
It has been a long time since I put one in but if I rember right there was a filter too put on the alternator , one on the fuel pump and I think there was one on the air compressor. If you do not put them on you will have problems the one on the 1500 alternator goes on the maine post and goes to ground it is a capasitor. Herbie [email protected]

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Barry. Yes be sure all 3 filters are installed correctly and all connectors are tight and proper fits. I had major noise in my aux output for the portable XM and a noise supressor cured that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.