Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds strange, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding installing a hitch style bicycle carrier on my 1999SE? I will be going out of town for 3 weeks and would like to continue training for centuries and triathlons.

It has a hitch installed, but I have not towed anything before. The carrier won't weigh that much and my bicycle is less tha 20 lbs.

If it works, I will have to take pictures.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
You should not have a problem. I say go for it. I do want to see pics of it though.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Hook it up & try it. By the way Welcome to the site.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello ted, welcome to GWOF. i though about putting the bicycle carrier on my wing a few years ago but i don't have a hitch yet

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Tedscastle. If peeps carry golf bags on the hitches, no reason a bike couldn't tag along!

·
Registered
178 Posts
weight shouldnt be an issue. I bet the bike weighs less than some of those ice'd down coolers you see hangin off the back. I also would like to see pics when you get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I think I would look at hanging the bike vertical, wouldn't be much wider than the wing, I doubt that weight will be an issue

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
I saw someone doing just that last week. You aren't in Oklahoma or Arkansas are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and welcomes. I will give it a try. If I can't mount the bike vertically, I may try it with the wheels off in order to keep it within the profile of the bike. I will post pics as soon as I get it.

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
The one I saw had it sideways, just like behind a car. Just remember to stay in the center track!

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I think I would look at hanging the bike vertical, wouldn't be much wider than the wing, I doubt that weight will be an issue
I agree 100% with ya and was curious why they designed theirs this way.

My 'guess' is that they fear that whatever is hanging out will catch on a post, mirror of another car or the bank teller. Even in a parking lot, it would be easy to forget it's their and when tipping the bike onto the kickstand, it might hit something.

Just a guess.

I still would consider going vertical but would at least look at their basic design and give it some thought as to why they did it that way and if there were any other reasons for it.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I would think if you already have a receiver hitch on your bike an Aluminum rack could be fabricated to fit it, with a hook type arrangement to hang the bike on by the tube going from the seat to the sprocket

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
If you used a fork mount to hold the front of the bike steady, you could pull the bike along on it's rear wheel. No weight on the bike, the tire on the bicycle would not wear much if at all. It would track like a one wheel trailer would.

Or you could use some cross bars and mount a bike on a small pull behind trailer like this:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
How about a vertical tube with a pair of hooks facing the rear, mounted high enough to hang the handle bars in and giving the rear wheel ground clearence, wheel pointed to the rear. the handle bars would be the widest points and they surely aren't as wide as the bikes bars.
Just another idea.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA. Lots of interesting ideas. Will be watching to see which one works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.