Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2 unit Cardo Pack talk bold set about 2 months ago and I am very disappointed and frustrated with this stuff and I am looking for help before I dump it and spend another $450 to try the Sena 50. I went with Cardo based on reviews and videos that persuaded me there was a slight advantage to the Cardo. Main problem is wind noise. With the initial set up, full face helmets and the supplied mics, we had constant static from the wind on my wifes headset, which leaves the mic open all the time, cutting volume on music, reducing battery life by 50% and making communication very annoying. I subsequently ordered the open face mics and put the set up in our half helmets, same issue, ordered extra wind socks for the mics, same problem, placed tape over the mic openings and triple wind sock, still a problem and creates an echo. In addition to the wind noise if I play the radio on the bike, it plays through my mic into wifes headset, leaving my mic open, cuts her music volume and kills battery.. We have the mic sensitivity set at lowest setting. Contacted Cardo but they are of no help. Their 2 suggestions were turn mic sensitivity down- did that, made no difference and turn mic off. Hum, OK no mic so I have the headset why? Any suggestion? Anyone else with similar problems or better results with Sena?
Pics from recent ride TN, VA and KY
Cloud Sky Nature Motor vehicle Tree
Cloud Plant Sky Natural landscape Branch
Plant Sky Plant community Cloud Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Mountain
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Building
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle

·
Registered
526 Posts
It sounds like one of your mics is misaligned. They are designed to be oriented with one specific side towards your mouth, and the other side to be forward facing. There are mics in both sides, the forward-facing one should pick up noise and "subtract" it from the mix. The mouth-facing one should pick up your voice and "add" it to the mix.

The Sena mics have a little "fin" on the mic that you can feel for, and it should be facing away from your mouth. I can tell when my wife's mic gets bent or drops below her helmet.

Caveat: These mics work great in full face helmets. With open face helmets, I'd think all bets are off? The mic has less of a way to distinguish between wind noise, road noise, bike noise, radio noise, etc.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I second the OP suggestion, there should be a triangle on a flat spot next to your mic, make sure that it is facing the mouth directly. Also I have found that the larger wind sock on the wife's mic cuts the wind noise to zero.

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
89 Posts
I bought a 2 unit Cardo Pack talk bold set about 2 months ago and I am very disappointed and frustrated with this stuff and I am looking for help before I dump it and spend another $450 to try the Sena 50. I went with Cardo based on reviews and videos that persuaded me there was a slight advantage to the Cardo. Main problem is wind noise. With the initial set up, full face helmets and the supplied mics, we had constant static from the wind on my wifes headset, which leaves the mic open all the time, cutting volume on music, reducing battery life by 50% and making communication very annoying. I subsequently ordered the open face mics and put the set up in our half helmets, same issue, ordered extra wind socks for the mics, same problem, placed tape over the mic openings and triple wind sock, still a problem and creates an echo. In addition to the wind noise if I play the radio on the bike, it plays through my mic into wifes headset, leaving my mic open, cuts her music volume and kills battery.. We have the mic sensitivity set at lowest setting. Contacted Cardo but they are of no help. Their 2 suggestions were turn mic sensitivity down- did that, made no difference and turn mic off. Hum, OK no mic so I have the headset why? Any suggestion? Anyone else with similar problems or better results with Sena?
Pics from recent ride TN, VA and KY
View attachment 278086 View attachment 278087 View attachment 278088 View attachment 278089 View attachment 278090 View attachment 278091
A couple of years ago, I wanted a bluetooth set so the woman an I could communicate while riding. That's all I really cared about. It wasn't SO important that I needed to spend big dollars to do it.

I picked up a Freedconn set from Amazon for about $100.00 and it works great....it really does. It attached to the helmets easily, it's clear and plenty loud enough. The charge lasts about 6 hours if you leave them on continuously.....if you turn them off when you stop for any length of time, they will last longer.

I really only use them as 2 way communicators but they can do everything else....take phone calls, listen to the radio...whatever the expensive ones can do. I feel it was a worthwhile purchase.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the HJC 20B, which is made by Sena specifically for HJC helmets and is based on Sena's 20S headset. We have the HJC i90 modular helmets and have tried the headsets with the chin bar both up and down, and wind noise is non-existent.

Is the HJC Smart 20B the best headset out there? Probably not, but they work just fine for us.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have had our Pactalk for several years now. The mic orientation is critical. I have used mine on a 3/4 and now a full face with no issues. I have the boom mic in my full face now and it works fine. My wife uses the other mic in her modular and no problem there either. Switch out the mics and see what happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like one of your mics is misaligned. They are designed to be oriented with one specific side towards your mouth, and the other side to be forward facing. There are mics in both sides, the forward-facing one should pick up noise and "subtract" it from the mix. The mouth-facing one should pick up your voice and "add" it to the mix.

The Sena mics have a little "fin" on the mic that you can feel for, and it should be facing away from your mouth. I can tell when my wife's mic gets bent or drops below her helmet.

Caveat: These mics work great in full face helmets. With open face helmets, I'd think all bets are off? The mic has less of a way to distinguish between wind noise, road noise, bike noise, radio noise, etc.

Thanks for the input. On the full helmet, using the supplied boom mic, my wife’s mic was reversed. Reorientation cut the wind noise down , but not completely. I finally just turned my unit off because as mentioned the static becomes very annoying causing an otherwise enjoyable ride to become a nuisance. So the upshot was I couldn’t have my unit on ( which does not generate a lot of wind noise) and play the radio on the bike because that opens my mic ( which was oriented correctly since installing) and my wife gets the music from my mic and the bike both which is annoying and keeps my mic open, nor can she listen To her music from the Bluetooth because my open mic playing bike radio music kills her speaker volume. Nor could we both listen to our Bluetooth music because her mike stays open which cuts the volume to both headsets and just runs the battery down.
We also purchased the open face mics on the longer boom, and have had better luck with that set up and half helmets than with full helmets, but the same issues still exist but to a lesser extent. Each of those mics has at least 3 windsocks each and tape on the mic under the windsocks. Incidentally I have the 4 + windshield so static on my mic has not been an issue but the bike radio and static from wife’s mic are issues unresolved. Before I give up we’re going to buy another set of half helmet mics and try those in our full helmets because they have worked better than the mics that were supplied with the original purchase which included two mics one on a boom and one on a cord and both were a small RCA type jack plug-in so we had the option of using either or but because our full helmets will lift up we did not use the mic on the wire, we stayed with the mic on the boom but we’re going to try the half helmet mics on the full helmet because they work better apparently at least in our experience and if that doesn’t work we only have a few rides left this season and I’ll wait till next year before I start over with a different brand.
Water Water resources Plant community Plant Natural landscape
I appreciate everyone’s input and here are some pics from our ride this weekend from Morganton NC up to Jolo WV via the “Back of the Dragon” .
Plant Motor vehicle Tree Natural landscape Road surface
Cloud Sky Plant Infrastructure Road surface
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountain

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great ride, thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
From the sounds of it you are double channeling between your mic and your wife's, I had this happen right after we got our Cardo's, my fault not Cardo's. I unpaired everything then repaired them and everything has been great for over 3 years. From my experience if you are not happy with the Cardo you will be even less with the Sena. We had a total of 3 different Sena units none of which worked as advertised and none that lasted a full riding season. Sena support is like talking to yourself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the sounds of it you are double channeling between your mic and your wife's, I had this happen right after we got our Cardo's, my fault not Cardo's. I unpaired everything then repaired them and everything has been great for over 3 years. From my experience if you are not happy with the Cardo you will be even less with the Sena. We had a total of 3 different Sena units none of which worked as advertised and none that lasted a full riding season. Sena support is like talking to yourself.
Thanks for the suggestion I will unpair them and try re-pairing them again. Also I appreciate the input on the Sena. We decided to go with headsets because we wanted to wear full helmets and we had mostly been wearing half helmets which we were able to communicate relatively easy without any microphones maybe the technology is just not there yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll attest to the wind noise problem with my wife and her full face helmet w/shield (no problem in my modular). If she pays attention to mic orientation and placing it almost against her lips then it isn't bad but still gets activated by strong cross winds and some passing trucks. She isn't a fan of having it really close to her mouth so will push it up high. She forgets that its up there though...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The tech is there, like I said we have been problem free for over three years, there may be a difference between our windshields as that is the only thing I can think of with the wind noise. We both wear modular helmets and after using the large wind sock on the wife's mic I get zero wind noise or mic tripping with shield up or down. In fact it is so quiet if one of us doesn't talk for a while the Mic will shut down and you have to wake it back up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've been problem free with Sena for over a decade, so I agree the tech is there.

There are many thousands of happy customers of both brands, so I'm sure it's something fixable.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've had the Cardo Packtalk for a few years now and never really had an issue with wind noise. There's 4 others that I ride with at different times and once paired, when we get together they automatically re-connect. Use them on modular helmets. The mic orientation is important. I also use earplugs by EarPeace, to eliminate the white noise from any wind, although the Shoei is a quiet helmet to start with. Overall very satisfied with the Cardo Packtalk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts