Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm new at this - I need to get smart on tuning carbs on my 84 1200, can anyone point me in the right direction. My bike is running good presently, this is more for future tunning.

Thanks, Goodini

·
Administrator
29,082 Posts
We have a couple 1200 guys here who have recently talked of doing just that. Eric from Down Under is one & Tatanka is the other.

I'm sure one of them will chime in.

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Hi Goodoni,

First, get a good manual for your bike. I bought a Clymer manual from Trike Lady and it's excellent. Val, do you have another?

As some here know, I do like to run a stiff dose of Seafoam in every 5-10 tanks just to keep jets and passageways in the carbs clean. I do not save money on air filters. I use spendy OEM Honda air filters and do not intend to run them even near their service limit. Machine has to breathe right.

Inspect the rubber intake boots for any cracking, etc. Another thing to check/replace are the large O-rings in the bottom of the metal elbows(about $15 total). Especially in older bikes like ours, they've been compressed for so long they don't seal as well as new ones, and you don't want any air leaks in the intakes.

Basic carb tuning for me includes setting the pilot screw to the factory spec (in the manual) and then synchronize the carbs with a four-hose&dial unit. Somebody on here might have one for sale or may be close enough for you to visit. Synchronizing means all four cylinders are pulling the same volume of air/fuel mix at each level of the throttle. It's a good thing, as Martha would say.

·
Registered
668 Posts
hi,
I would suggest checking the compression with a known good gauge.
And check the basics look for dry rotted vac lines ,filters , lube your cables etc before you work on the carbs. Just make sure that anything that could effect the performance of your engine has been addressed first. If you really want to get it dialed in and know its right you could color tune it as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,616 Posts
Hi Goodoni,

First, get a good manual for your bike. I bought a Clymer manual from Trike Lady and it's excellent. Val, do you have another?

As some here know, I do like to run a stiff dose of Seafoam in every 5-10 tanks just to keep jets and passageways in the carbs clean. I do not save money on air filters. I use spendy OEM Honda air filters and will not run it all the way to its service limit. Machine has to breate right.

Inspect the rubber boots for any cracking, etc. Another thing to check/replace are the large O-rings in the bottom of the metal elbows($15). Especially in older bikes like ours, they've been compressed for so long they don't seal as well as new, and you don't want any air leaks in the intakes.

Basic carb tuning for me includes setting the pilot screw to the factory spec (in the manual) and then synchronize the carbs with a four-hose&dial unit. Somebody on here might have one for sale or may be close enough for you to visit. Synchronizing means all four cylinders are pulling the same volume of air/fuel mix at each level of the throttle.
I had two and both are gone. Clymer is the best choice (my opinion) if you cannot find the Honda Factory Manual. A set of sync gauges are a must. Good Goldwing carb parts: http://www.randakks.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.