Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my 75 Gl1000 to the shop to have them sink carbs and check timing. Bike was sluggish on takeoff. I get bike back and she has no power. They say it is in the carbs so I tear them apart, dip them in chemdip and verify all my jets are clean. Put new orings in and she wont run right. Adjusted the Idle air acrew out 1 3/8 turns and she will only run choked and that is it shut it off she dies. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You may have a lean condition.
There's a test here. If the bike is running rich, remove the air cleaner and if the bike suddenly runs better, lean it out.
If the bike runs lean, restrict airflow and if it runs better, richen it.
Richen the mixture.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
I hope you didn't have to pay for those results! WTH?

She's clearly fuel-starved, from your comments. I'd first run a tank of fuel with a stiff dose (.5-1 oz/gal) of Seafoam through those carbs; actually I drove about 2 oz./gal. through Tatanka in the first tank after he ran again and it made quick work of finishing the cleaning of his carbs, especially when followed by .5 oz/gal every 3-4 tanks.

There's probably some other stuff going on, but I'd start the with "fuel delivery system" first and then look at the "air delivery system." It's one of them, if your spark is good all around. Pilot screws would be my first guess, followed by slow jets.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ok I am sure I am sounding like a broken record here to some of our members, but have you pulled a compression test? If not that is the first place I would start. Just so you would have piece of mind that all is well inside your engine, you have an older Wing so things cannot be assumed to be good until its checked.
It is very important to check the points and timing if the points have a worn snubber ( I forget what it's called) the part of the point that contacts the lobe causing the points to open. May be worn down due to lack of lube or just plain wore out. Also check the lobes for wear. If you want the bike to run well keep it simple check all the basics fuel filter, coils, replace the points and condenser if you suspect any problems or if you are unsure how old they are.
Btw if you have a point type setup on your bike you may want to convert it to an High energy ignition set up if one is available for your year bike.

Before I write another book here . It would be good to know what has been checked and what has not.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 4 of 4 Posts