Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my bike to a friend thats is a mech and he saids i need to rebuild my carbs. so i have been looking at rebuild kits and they all are different some are more some are less some have jets some dont. so does anyone know what one i should go with. sorry my bike is a 78 gl 1000.
thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i was thinking about jetting it why i have them apart. any opinions? i have not had the bike running so not sure how fast it is and how much a jet kit would help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you know if i can leave the fuel inlet screen out? the kit does not come with it and you cant get them by them selfs it would cost me another 100+ dollars. the tech/parts guy at a local parts store said i could.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
When you mention a fuel inlet screen do you mean a fuel filter that comes from the tank and leads to the pump? Or the Flame Trap Screens that cover the carb pairs? There are fuel strainers inside each carb behind the valve seat and all you have to do is clean those.
Never heard of a $100.00 fuel filter. Why would you want to leave a fuel filter out, debris from the tank will only be pulled in it and sent to the carbs to plug up the screens.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the ones behind the valve seat inside the carbs. my mech said they are pretty bad. and the guy at the parts shop said most ppl leave them out and just to make sure my fuel fillter is clean.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Get a quality fuel filter that can filter out impurities well and change them often.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
I'm a bit nit-picky about things and I personally wouldn't want to leave them out, if I had to I'd certainly want a fuel filter that would keep debris from entering the fuel pump. Before you do anything you may want to contact Sudco www.sudco.com, they may have the filter available. Take one of the filter screens to a small engine shop, they may have them available.
Have they been soaked in solvent to clean them?
I can just visualize micron size debris going where it doesn't need to go and then the job has to be redone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts