Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've been away a while. I have a 1980 Goldwing 1100 with low miles and it runs great. I live where it is cold and there is snow on the ground. I keep my bike in a heated garage and when i first start it up, it only needs a few seconds to warm up and it accelerates like it should. The same with a 1981 I had. Well,recently I bought a 1986 1200 Aspencade and it runs like crap. It has only 26K miles on it. Because of the weather I have only driven it for a half hour or so. I let it warm up for 5 minutes or so and it idles and revs up good. but when i put it in gear and try to accelerate it hesitates like crazy and bogs right down. Like a lean mixture. If I close the choke a bit, it is better but when I stop, the engine is reving quite high with the choke partly closed. But with the choke fully open, it still hesitates badly even after it is pretty warm. The factory service manual has very little on trouble shooting this. I bought it from an auto dealership through ebay that took it in on trade and I know i got an excellen deal. There was no reserve. I did get to contact the original owner and he said he had a Honda dealer overhaul the carbs and they told him, "that's how they run. You really need to let them warm up real good". I think someone is full of it because my other two ran great.
And one other question. i rode and rebuilt a lot of Brittish bikes and they shifted great. The 3 Goldwings all shift like dropping ice cubes in a blender. Is this normal? At least on the older Goldwings? Thank you for your time everyone.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum from Down Under. I am thinking the same as you, that is not normal running for a 1200 wing. And it sounds like the carbies. If you clean them properly and blow them out, the 1200 should run like your 1100 did. Eric

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have an 85 Interstate, the carbs were just synced when I bought it, I have to warm it up for a bit before taking off. I have just accepted that it is old an needs warming first, It runs great if I do.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my '84 aspy is cold blooded and if the temp outside is in the low 40's then the choke will be on until its fully warmed up but even in warm weather the bike is slow to warm up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly welcome to the forum from Down Under. I am thinking the same as you, that is not normal running for a 1200 wing. And it sounds like the carbies. If you clean them properly and blow them out, the 1200 should run like your 1100 did. Eric
Hi, thanks for the reply. Wish I was down under myself. Big blizzard last nite.
I,m going to check the accelerator pumps on the carbs and the floats first. I'm sure it should run better. My older ones did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have an 85 Interstate, the carbs were just synced when I bought it, I have to warm it up for a bit before taking off. I have just accepted that it is old an needs warming first, It runs great if I do.
Yeah, you could be right. The carbs are a different design than on my old GWs so that may be a factor. But I don't like it Thanks for the reply. One thing, syncing has more to do with ideling and smooth power rather than acceleration. Not accelerating good or bogging down is usually a lean misture or an accelerator pump problem. Snows coming your way, I think. We got our share just north of Chicago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my '84 aspy is cold blooded and if the temp outside is in the low 40's then the choke will be on until its fully warmed up but even in warm weather the bike is slow to warm up
Yeah, they seem to run kind of cold at first I think. Thanks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
One characteristic of my 85 Interstate is it needs to be warmed up no matter if it 30deg. or 80deg. I figure what is 5/10min to warm it up, once warm she purrs like a kitten! I am going to use Seafoam before the first ride out this spring, everyone that has reviewed it has given it high marks for improving performance, also Marvel Mystery oil was recommended.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
carb or acceleration problem

On the Seafoam or Marvel Mystery oil, I'll look into it. I did take it for a long ride last week and the warmer it got, the better it ran. But it still needs something. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts