Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2007 wing with a side car. I figured that since I generally wouldn't be leaning the bike, I could go with a car tire and (a) spend less money on a tire, and (b) have it last longer (more mileage). I have barely 10k miles on the tire, and it looks like it's almost bald. Would this be 'normal' for the situation? Would it be because of the way I ride? I will admit that I still like to push the bike through the curves, and I still like riding roads that have nice curves. Kind of on a fixed income here, so trying to save money as I can, and still ride. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't run a car tire, so take this for what it's worth, but from what I read the car tire guys like doing it because it provides a run-flat capability, and they are worried about getting a flat tire and losing control on a normal motorcycle tire.

Mileage varies, but there are quite a few reports that the Dunlop Elite 4 motorcycle tires are getting over 15K (mine is at 15K and still has a lotta tread left), and they also supposedly run 25-30 miles when deflated, so I wonder if the car tire has a real advantage anymore.

Again, I don't run a car tire and I don't care if anyone else does, that's just my 2 cents. This will get some very heated and defensive responses. Put on the Nomex underpants.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If the car tire is a "run flat" tire yes it will go approx. 50 miles after deflating. A regular car tire will not. I had E4s on before and I don't think it will run at all deflated. It's side wall is very stiff but I seriously doubt you can run flat.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
There is a thread on here called 1800 Darksiders Only
you can read all you like and then make your own decision about whether or not you would like to run a CT
I personally do and don't think you would be disappointed since you run a side car......... but that has to be a decision you make. I mulled it over far about a year before I decided to do it. At first I thought it might have been a mistake, took a bit to get used to the new feel. Now...... I will stay darkside.
you can read my full signature and see what I use

Reactions: Flyrider

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
After wearing a flat spot on an E4 in no time I knew it was time for a CT. I had run a CT on my shadow for a few yrs before and loved it. I'm double dark on the wing for over a year now and always will be.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would think that a car tire on the rear of a sidecar rig would be the best. I spoke with someone once who noticed I had a car tire on my Wing and he had a HD rig and found it ate rear tires crazy fast. I have a Ural sidecar and it goes through pusher tires much faster than the front or sidecar tire. I wish I could get a car tire to fit it's rim, but sadly there isn't one.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I agree that it makes a lot of sense to put a car tire on a bike with a side car.

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
With a hack or reverse or conventional trike, a c/t is a given. I would hardly give any credence to the notion that an E4 will go 25k miles on anything. I barely got 13k out of my last set of Bridgestones and I really doubt the E4 could deliver better for how I ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, could anyone recommend a car tire brand that will last more than 10,000 miles? I run michelin on my car, because they give me way more mileage than other brands, but would it be the same for the bike? I would be willing to go that extra price if it would make a difference. I did buy a cheaper tire originally, but I was expecting to get the 30,000, or at least something close to that when I bought it. It lasted 3 whole years, anyway.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My Darkside update:

Replaced the front Bridgestone Excedra with a Battlax the front had 14000 miles on it and down to the wear bars

So I measured the tread on the CT rear tire put on at the same time as the front... so it too has 14000 miles on it now.
New it had 10/32 tread....... now as you go across the tire side to side, there are 4 main groves and they now measure 8/32, 7/32, 7/32, 8/32..... I have been running it at 39-41 psi, seems to be its favorite pressure. so at this rate it should be good for a total of 45-60k miles I do believe.

this was posted Dec 2018,,,, I have a Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55-16 non run flat

Reactions: Flyrider

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This was posted in Nov 2019

Double Dark Side update

Front tire - BT45 Battlax
mileage = 5000
tread =center groove now 8/32 new 9/32
running bike recommended psi

Rear tire - Yokahama AVID ENVigor
mileage = 19000
tread= now outside grooves 7/32
center most grooves 5.5/32
new 10/32
have been running 38-40 psi
but because of heavier center wear.... dropping to 35 psi....see if it wears more even (but know it will be harder to determine)

at any rate..... have used about half the usable tread.... so should be good for about 38000 miles total
Will most definitely do this again

the 38000 is about the same mileage I got out of the ENVigor on my wife's Camry

Reactions: Flyrider and Chopin

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I have a 2007 wing with a side car. I figured that since I generally wouldn't be leaning the bike, I could go with a car tire and (a) spend less money on a tire, and (b) have it last longer (more mileage). I have barely 10k miles on the tire, and it looks like it's almost bald. Would this be 'normal' for the situation? Would it be because of the way I ride? I will admit that I still like to push the bike through the curves, and I still like riding roads that have nice curves. Kind of on a fixed income here, so trying to save money as I can, and still ride. Any help would be appreciated.
I have been using ct on my 1800 for several years and I have absolutely no problems in the curves matter of a fact I will never go back to an m/c tire. Bridgestone run flat driveguard 195/55/16. Awesome tire. I think if you road one for a little while you would love it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So what car tire model do you put on the front ( IMG_0055.JPG 2010 Goldwing TRIKE) Right know I'm running a Avon trike tire, BUT if a car tire will last even longer I'm all in.........thank you .

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
there is not a car tire that will fit the front............ a lot are using what I am.... the Bridgestone BT45 Battlax it is OE in size... it is a rear M/C tire for some crotch rocket.... it has a flatter profile and deeper tread

Reactions: 823Jim and Chopin

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
type of tires
what oil
which golf club (different site), (I personally like using a Winchester Model 190 or a Ruger .357 Mag revolver, when I shoot golf)

all start a debate over opinions

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
type of tires
what oil
which golf club (different site), (I personally like using a Winchester Model 190 or a Ruger .357 Mag revolver, when I shoot golf)

all start a debate over opinions
If I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you ! Semper Fi.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's worthless, but you got a post count from it.
"This will get some very heated and defensive responses."

Yup, and there you are...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.