Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any experience with running Humho Solus on the rear of the wing,i've been doing some reading up on this and it seems that the 205/60/16 is a perfect fit.any thoughts or opinions?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
That would be Kumho tires. As far as I know or have ever seen on this board, no rider here uses " car " tires on their motorcycle. What year Wing do you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't make the same mistake i made, i bought a 195-65-16 mounted it and when i put it on the bike (03 1800) it rubbed on the swing arm. Brand new tire sitting in my shed.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I just had a heckuva thought. I'm gonna go out and get some Avon Venom 330's and put them on the rear of my Sierra 2500, and put some 180's on the front, get some home-boy cool chromies and an air-lift system so I can drop her down nice an' lo, hang some dingo balls and fuzzy dice and... wow, what a nightmare I just had:eek::D

Ok, Ok, just kidding cycle guy. Really not a fan of darksiding though. Check out the wheels and tyres section once you get through with Joe's link. Those guys are pretty much pro-dark, most of us here are on the other side of the fence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well,having read a little more indepth,i think i'll stay on the "lighter side".thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am very interested in this topic. I have read a lot of the other threads, but there are some areas I am still a little confused on.

First, what are the advantages of the car tire over the m/c tire?

Second, What size car tire fits the various bikes? 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800? I understand that the swing arm is different on the different models.

Third, is there a lot of speedometer error using the car tire?

fourth, how does it corner??

Thanks,
chrisgl1800

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
What is this, you think you're funny or something?
Well Dan, I do have a sense of humour, as do a great many of us regulars on the board. In time maybe you will too.
Chris, it's no secret I'm not a fan of 'darksiding' no matter what the financial or mileage gain might be; it's a "car" tyre not a "bike" tyre end of story for me. Everybody is free tomake their own choices in this regard, but there is no information about legality in an accident situation, insurance issues, nothing. As far as handling goes, lots of the responses on the 1800 forum say it's fine; I want constantly excellent thank you...m/c tyre for me always.

·
Registered
23 Posts
is there a financial or mileage gain to be had with using car tires?It just dont sound right.
Cripes,they wouldnt sell you one size bigger or smaller tire for an suv.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
fluffy, the car doughnuts are less expensive to buy (usually) and darksiders claim they get far longer life out of them. They're just not my bag is all.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I run a non-run flat Falken 912, 195-55-16. As far as I can tell there is about 700+ of us over on another message board I look at. I have looked at another website (but not a member of) that has about 3,000 registered car tire users.

I prefer the non-run flat because the side walls are maybe not quite as stiff. I carry a compressor and a plug kit anyway.

The tire is cheaper ($108 inc. tax & mounting) and the one I have now looks like it will do me for 20K miles or better but the main reasons I use it are:

1. Weight rating is 400-500 lb. more. With the 1800 MC tires figure at least half the weight of the bike, me, co-pilot, luggage and weight and extra torque on the tire of a trailer and it is no surprise when you read about MC tire failures on the wing.

2. Rides much, much more smooth and almost no noise.

3. Took wheel after mounting tire to local Honda shop and they said it did not need any tire weights. Have since found out this is usually the case with this tire.

4. Much less worry in rain, or on gravel or dirt.

5. The looks and questions are priceless.

P.S. Had an old timer who said he had been riding for over 50 years tell me that back when he started, he and all of his friends used car tires because MC tires were hard to find and considered a novelty. Don't know if that is true or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts