Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK have a question for anyone who has had the C/T and your Honda Warranty. I was told at my Honda Dealership that it would void my warranty on anything on the back of the bike I don't know if that would include the rear gear or not I think it would. Anyway just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Was not going to comment but, once again(no abasing intended in any way)the MM act has been improperly referred to.
One needs to read (and understand-which is difficult to do!)the intent of the MM law. It does not apply in this scenario!
What does apply(and read the wording carefully):
Use of any non-approved part/accessory or making any non-approved modification and not having the work done by a tech at an authorized dealership maycause a warranty claim to be denied should it be determined said part or mod contributed to the problem in question.
Different results come from different dealers!
In the case of CT's, Trailer hitches, heal/toe shifters, trike conversions. None of these are approved by Honda for use on the Gold Wing, even though many of these items are sold and installed by authorized Honda dealers!
While I'm sure there are those that will/do disagree with this, it is what it is!
Some dealers can get these "repairs' done by not "telling" what has been done to or added to the bike.
With more and more trike conversions, I believe the factory reps are making more "visits" to review the bikes with major drive train failures. Once the bike is found w/a conversion on it, it's flagged and no more drive train warranty!
I have yet to hear of a bike flagged for having a CT but, I can understand a dealers concern.
I am also concerned that many bikes w/unauthorized parts/mods will get flagged when the bike is presented to a dealer for the secondary master cylinder recall! While the recall may be peformed at no cost-if your bike gets flagged.....................

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
It would appear that it's a YES and NO answer, and the judge and jury on the matter seems to reside in the " discretion " of the Dealer. As far as my local Honda Dealer I do not even have to entertain the thought that my C/T would in any way shape or form void a warranty issue. There is a trust factor here as with any relationship, be it personal or business. I asked my service manager, Nathan, if they would install a car tire on my bike and he responded, " Lee, we'll put any snake oil you want on your bike ( LOL ) ." I purchased a front tire from them and they did put in my Dyna bead snake oil in lieu of their spin- the - tire - with - your - hand balancing method. For me, personally, it is a non-issue.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I agree with chopin 114. Dealers are the ones that will determine if they will cover it or not. When they request the approval of warranty work from Honda they don't need to tell them about the rear tire and I'm sure Honda wouldn't ask. If the dealer doesn't want to do the repair than they can tell Honda about the tire. The dealer I use for my Concours which is also a Honda and Yamaha dealer told me about a year ago that he got a letter from Honda telling them to NEVER mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim. Of course this to cover their rear end in case of an accident.

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Ditto on what Joe says. Dealer doesn't have to say diddly about a c/t unless he wants to.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Dealers are the ones that will determine if they will cover it or not.
Not sure where your info came from? I was informed some time ago, each warranty claim must be filed w/the warranty division of the manufacturer. The determination is made there as to coverage or not on any warranty coverage request.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Just an Ole Fossil's 2 cents. Joe & Lee are stating what is the most likely situation. The factory/reps have a relationship with the dealer that they will most likely process a warranty claim on the dealers info. If that dealer doesn't say anything about the C/T than the issue doesn't arise.

We have a similar realtionship with our Reps when it comes to A/C, Heating & Plumbing warranties. The claim forms & claims themselves are not typically scrutinized to a great extent.

Now having said that if you (The Buyer) are notorious for chisiling prices down, demanding in service & in general a pain in the neck to the Dealer. Well then it may be a different story.:D

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
Well said fossil. Believe me, I know that courtesy is a two way street. Dealers also have to be very careful that they don't get on the wrong side of the warranty approvers. One thing I can tell everone here is that the day your warranty expires, it IS expired. The days of past date coverage are long gone. All OEMs will tell you outright that if you want longer coverage on your machine, then you'd better purchase the ESC.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Why is everyone worried about warranty issues with a CT. We all know the bikes will crash and burn before they ever see any warranty issues:)

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Great timing on this thread. I need tires and I am leaning to the dark side. My thoughts have been I have little over a year on the factory warranty and will wait till it is over so it will be a none issue. Yall have really got me thinking though. Twice the mileage and half the cost. My dealer will cringe when I talk about it, but I am getting more convinced every day that it will be worth it! Ride safe!!

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
That's what it means alright, extended service contract, but it is warranty coverage. Honda Plus is what they call it up here, and Honda provides the coverage. Other OEMs have an underwriter that is contracted for the coverages and most charge a deductible per claim visit, Honda does not.

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
I purchase the Honda Protection Plan extended warranty a week or so ago from " Direct Line Parts ". $499 for a four year coverage. This coverage is authorized and sanctioned by Mother Honda. I checked with my local Dealer to confirm before I bought it.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Before I bought my goldwing I toyed with Car tires...I ran Metzlers and they were inconsitant in how long they might last. I will be doing several IB before the big one in June. I am toying with the Dunlap Elite 3. it was my understanding they have a harder rubber inthe middle and softer rubber on the sides. Furthermore the tires may get up to 15 thousand miles or so I was told...thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I run E-3 on my 1500 and have gotten right at 19,000 0n a set. Not sure the 1500 and 1800 E-3 is the same tire.

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
What affect do car tires have on the sensors?
Might depend on what CT you are running. Some CT riders run a tire inflated to, or equal to, the safe range of the TPMS. I don't have TPMS and I run my tire at 32 psi +/-. There is a procedure to " trick (?) the sensors or retrain them to a different threshold. Regarding that, I will leave it to the experts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts