Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 3K out of the stock rear. My last two E3 rears have only managed 4k apiece. I love the way my Wing handles and corners. However, after I get back from a week vacation, I will be mounting a Kuhmo Ecsta run flat car tire on the rear to see what all the commotion is about and evaluate a CT performance as compared to MT. Regardless if I like them or not, I will run them till they are worn.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Doran tire pressure monitor. It has a bright red warning light and a separate display which tells me the front and rear tire pressure. However, I just realized that when I am in my favorite section of twisties, that the warning light needs to be more front and center or I will miss seeing it, especially in bright sunlight. I realized this today on a fast ride through the countryside!

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Nice to have a Formula 1 rider to test the limits and performance of the car tire. Primarily, I'm a slab rider and looking for a tire that can go the distance of the highways. Cupping is my issue on the rear tire long before the tread wear factor sets in. My rear tire looks like a mountain range from the side view and I can only guess that I loose a bit of road to rubber contact because of it. The vibes it causes can be felt in the grips and seen in the mirror. I welcome your decision to test out the Kuhmo RF as that will be the tire of my choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Doesn't the 'flat' (not under inflated) car tire make your Wing a beast to lean/turn?

I was thinking car tire while I had the sidecar attached....but i've sold it, I've been looking at Pilot Road 2's...They are supposed to get excellent mileage...I had Angel ST's on my VFR before the Goldwing and had 6-7k miles on them, with a fair amount of tread left.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The squarish profile of the CT will make turn in different I'm sure, but not as much as you would expect as the tire will flex/give. I often wondered why motorcycle tires remained looking like MC tires when there is so much more tread options for cars. If you look at he profile of the CT's that MC's are using, they are fairly rounded. I got the tire new for $150 so instead of wondering about CT's on a MC, I will just find out for myself. I'm sure it will be fine for most types of riding. I am hoping that they will also be good for roads which suit me best (twisties for miles). Time will tell. I'll try to post a video of the tire contact patch on the road but for the moment, I don't know how to post video. Anyways, I'm off to the lake for a week for some wakeboarding.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The advantages I see from my own point of view is:

1. Better wet grip due to more sipping/water channels in the tread pattern
2. Hopefully longer mileage
3. Better grip in gravel/dirt through more 'biting' edges in the tread pattern
4. Higher load rating 1,200 lbs
5. And biggest for me is that Tire speed will be more consistent from straight up to full lean as the diameter of the tire will change much less drastically as compared to a MT. I compensate at turn in by applying more throttle as soon as I lean and begin a turn with a MT. The diameter of the CT will first increase before decreasing slightly. How this will affect the way I ride is to be determined. Because the Wing cannot be leaned over too far before hitting hard parts, the limited profile of the CT is ok. On a sportbike with much greater lean angle, a CT just won't work as you will soon be driving on the sidewall.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
The advantages I see from my own point of view is:

1. Better wet grip due to more sipping/water channels in the tread pattern
2. Hopefully longer mileage
3. Better grip in gravel/dirt through more 'biting' edges in the tread pattern
4. Higher load rating 1,200 lbs
5. And biggest for me is that Tire speed will be more consistent from straight up to full lean as the diameter of the tire will change much less drastically as compared to a MT. I compensate at turn in by applying more throttle as soon as I lean and begin a turn with a MT. The diameter of the CT will first increase before decreasing slightly. How this will affect the way I ride is to be determined. Because the Wing cannot be leaned over too far before hitting hard parts, the limited profile of the CT is ok. On a sportbike with much greater lean angle, a CT just won't work as you will soon be driving on the sidewall.
The car tire is quieter. I swear I am riding an electric motorcycle. The first 1,000 miles I had my Wing, I had E3's on it front and rear. The bike was noisy at every turn. That was the first thing I noticed when I took the bike out for a ride with the ct on it. I have almost 7,000 miles on the ct now.

This weekend, I look to put on some more.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no complaints about the E3. They worked great and were very predictable. I always know when they are getting worn because they begin to spin when I get on the gas hard coming out of turns. They do cup but I noticed no ill effects because of it and mush on. I will be happy if I get even 5k out of the CT if they work as well. What I wish to answer for myself is how good/bad they really are using the E3 as my baseline for varying conditions.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I got 3K out of the stock rear. My last two E3 rears have only managed 4k apiece. I love the way my Wing handles and corners. However, after I get back from a week vacation, I will be mounting a Kuhmo Ecsta run flat car tire on the rear to see what all the commotion is about and evaluate a CT performance as compared to MT. Regardless if I like them or not, I will run them till they are worn.
What air pressure have you run in these tires? Those are 2 of the lowest mileages I have ever seen for rear tires on a Wing:confused:
Since you have not completed any info in your profile, what year is your Wing?
For me:
1500=20K on a rear and only changed then because a split in the tread was found. Sold bike before the 2nd tire wore out.
1800= 12K on rear. Triked before 2nd tire wore out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run 36 front and 41 rear on an airbag 2008. I am very critical of tire pressures and check before each ride and sometimes during if the bike just doesn't feel right. I realize the mileage per tire is low but that is all I expect from a set of tires. I perhaps push the intended use of the Goldwing but she is so capable i cannot resist and the Wing is my favorite bike in the garage, sorry Gixxer and Duc. Trust me,even when I say 4k, the tire is bald and maybe should have been replaced even earlier. I'll post a Gopro video of one of my rides on of these days and maybe it will shed some light on why my tires give up the ghost so quick.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That low tire mileage is still amazing to me.
41psi is good, IMO. Because of my size and 99% 2 up w/wife, I ran 42psi when I was 2 wheeled.
You must be a very aggressive rider, especially on accelerations!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am hard on acceleration as well as deceleration. The torque of the Wing surprises me all the time because when I roll on the throttle to WOT, the back end kicks out as the rear tire slides out. However, because the power of the Wing is so progressive and predictable, I just back off a hair and all is well. I ride two up maybe 50% of the time. Luckily, my wife is very tolerant because I know there is no way I would be a passenger if I was the driver!

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I am hard on acceleration as well as deceleration. The torque of the Wing surprises me all the time because when I roll on the throttle to WOT, the back end kicks out as the rear tire slides out. However, because the power of the Wing is so progressive and predictable, I just back off a hair and all is well. I ride two up maybe 50% of the time. Luckily, my wife is very tolerant because I know there is no way I would be a passenger if I was the driver!
I really would like to witness how you ride that bike. I bet most of the time when you leave a stop light..... by the time you get to the end of the block, most of the other drivers are still at the light.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You might want to get a trike conversion take off rear differential, driveshaft w/rotor on hand, especially since you're going car tire!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I go trike, I will have a harder time dragging pegs;). Anyone know how to post video. I have some recent Gopro videos of Yosemite and local roads? I do not have a youtube account or anything like that. I come from a non-electronic age and its all foreign to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts