Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first car tire on a Honda VTX1300, looked very cool and the guy said it is different ride. :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
This is the " Great Debate. " Is there method in this madness ? I'm intrigued by the concept but confused by the conflict. I know the term " going over to the Dark Side " is just a phrase, but the word " over " keeps popping up in my mind. I have until next year before the tire debate becomes a tire choice for me and the hope is that I will come across a rider like you did to pump him for real life opinions and not just those I have read on the internet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently decided to try out the dark side and run a CT on my 07 GL1800. Mainly for longer lasting tire life and the higher load rating since I pull a loaded up trailer. Will need to get use to the different handling and feel of a 7 and half inch flat tread and rounded radius sidewall. If it don't work out, I have a brand new Dunlop and spare wheel waiting to go back on.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
My concern has and will be the handling characteristics of a CT vs a MT and also the warranty. Should you have a problem or an accident with a CT on the bike, does that void the warranty. I would suspect it would.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CT Warranty

Hi Two-Wheel;
Good question you have there. I worked at a trike shop a couple of years ago installing trike conversion kits on Goldwings and Harleys.
Manurfacture motorcycle warranties are still in affect to a degree.
Honda refused to do warranty coverage on an 04 totally decked out GL1800 valued at 70G's due to a transmission failure they claimed was caused by the conversion. But in most cases if the problem doesn't pertain to the kit in question, they will honor the warranty.
There has been lots of debate about warranty coverage and insurance coverage due to installing CT's on motorcycles such as a rider getting killed in an accident that was caused by a tire failure.
Changing to a different tire in most cases shouldn't cause any problems with warranty coverage because tires normally won't cause any mechanical problems requiring warranty work, but knowing Honda, they can be hard to deal with if they use the CT as an excuse to deny coverage. A real biggy is that they don't recommend pulling a trailer and can threaten to deny coverage. Most of us wingers pull trailers and pop-up campers. So, yes, they can give you a hard time if they want. A lot of GW owners are starting to make the switch to CT's, trike conversions and hauling trailers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, Two-Wheel;
I just installed a CT last week and only had a chance to put 30miles on so far. It will take a while to get use to how it handles compared to a MT. A positive note is that when I pull up to a stoplight the bike will remain upright and not wanting to flop over to the side due to the 7 and a half inch wide flat tread. The Toyo high performance tire is V rated to 130 mph and has a stiffer sidewall for less flexing because its designed for cornering on sports cars such as the Mini Cooper. Its not a run-flat tire and it has a rounded radius at the sidewall. The tire has more rubber on the ground and tends to jump forward a bit when hitting bumps due to the high torque of the engine. It also wants to wiggle a bit more on uneven or grooves in the road. And another thing that will take getting use to is when leaned over a bit, it feels like the bike wants to lean more on its own because of the smaller radius. Its a scary feeling at first and my reaction is to quickly stand the bike back up. I'll need to learn to trust the tire and get my convidence up. And riding in the wet is out until I master this CT as I think it is all in my mind. I do not want to drop my $32000 GW.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wingman, thanks for all the good info, the guy I talked with seemed to say the same thing and love the ct.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi wingman

Please don't take offense. If you don't want to drop your $32K GW, put the Dunlop E3 back on. If either U or I or the other guy spend $32,000 for a beautiful motorcycle, what is so important about saving 125$ on the wrong tire? Besides that, there can't be ANY pairing between the front cycle tire and the rear car tire. If I couldnt get a cycle tire (Dunlop Elite 3) and I was getting 10,000 miles or less on a brand X cycle tire I would rethink this. But I get 20K on the cycle tire and have averaged that over 4 consecutive tires. I don't see the need for such "savings".

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please don't take offense. If you don't want to drop your $32K GW, put the Dunlop E3 back on. If either U or I or the other guy spend $32,000 for a beautiful motorcycle, what is so important about saving 125$ on the wrong tire? Besides that, there can't be ANY pairing between the front cycle tire and the rear car tire. If I couldnt get a cycle tire (Dunlop Elite 3) and I was getting 10,000 miles or less on a brand X cycle tire I would rethink this. But I get 20K on the cycle tire and have averaged that over 4 consecutive tires. I don't see the need for such "savings".
No offense taken here, I am in need of a new rear tire soon and I personally will go with a Dunlop E3. :) I really don't think it has too much to do with $$$, if you get my drift.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm with Billcarr on this one 100%. Go to U-tube and watch close up video of CT on a wing. Scary stuff. I'm a firm believer that if it was the way to go...........Honda would mount them at the factory to begin with.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
i agree,i tried the car tire for 500 miles & switched back to the e3,the ride & performance quality just isn't there! maybe i'de keep it if i was running 1/4 mile at the local drag strip!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey you all;
For many years I stuck with the belief that mixing tire brands, profiles and rubber compounds was a no,no. I am basically old school too. We maybe forgot that the motorcycles of old ran car tires. In this new age of technology we sometimes exceed the envelope to try out new things, keeping an open mind and not relying on what granpa taught us to believe. More and more wingers are going over to the dark side and trying out this CT thing. My reasons for trying this method are the same as most are saying. My rear tires are wearing flat across the bottom fast because of exceeding the GVW set for the bike when I carry a co-rider and loaded up trailer with a 42 lb tonge weight. I want a tire that will exceed the load weight that a MT has to offer. Only a CT can offer this. Rear MT's have blown out due to excessive heat caused by exceeding the load limits. A few CT's have failed or were blamed for some falls but what was the real reason, maybe rider error was the real cause. I just got back from a 900 mile ride with my CT on the back and I am now starting to like it. I'm still not confident enough to trust the tire in the curves until I get use to the different feedback of the road I get so I am being careful in the curves at this time. As far as what's safe or not safe, look at the trike popularity. The numbers are going through the roof. Remember when three wheelers(trikes) were no longer made because they were dangerous and have killed or mamed a lot of people. Just keep an open mind, research as I did and get all the facts from both sides of this issue, then make up your own mind if you want to go this route. Its only dangerous to those who think it is because somebody told them so. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to go this way as this topic is pretty much devided evenly and I'm willing to try many things but I will never ever do the bungi-jumping thing; now that's dangerous.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree. Some guy or gal got paid a lot of money to design your bike and tire as a unit. I am not as educated as they but why would a company design, tool up and build a MC tire when a CT works as well?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think that a CT is better than a MT on a motorcycle. Its being used to do a certain job and that is to offer higher mileage while offering a higher load capacity for those who ride two up and pull a trailer. It will be used mostly for straight up riding for thousands of miles. Sport touring or aggressive cornering is not why we GW riders are switching to the Dark Side and I wouldn't even think about putting a CT on any other bike other than a GW. Motorcycle tires are still the best for motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
It's a conspiracy on both sides ! " ........ it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity; it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness;..........."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts