Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 GL1800. I’ve been looking through forums to find the correct tire size CT to match the rpm/speed of the stock motorcycle tire. What are people running and how true to speed are they? It looks like the 55 series would Be running a higher rpm. I can’t seem to find a symmetrical tread in a 195/60/16. ( do they even make one?) Looking for insight. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Check out this thread:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
2008 GL1800. I’ve been looking through forums to find the correct tire size CT to match the rpm/speed of the stock motorcycle tire. What are people running and how true to speed are they? It looks like the 55 series would Be running a higher rpm. I can’t seem to find a symmetrical tread in a 195/60/16. ( do they even make one?) Looking for insight. Thanks in advance.
I have a I have a Bridgestone run flat 195
On back and a battle axe rear

46 or 47.... the new one on front

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
People run car tires becasue they are cheaper. However a car tire is not designed for a motorcycle. A motorcycle tire is thicker and more rigid and sides will not roll on corners where a car tire might if a little low on air. Is $50 or $100 really worth taking a chance on a wreck or no wreck. Just a thought/

·
Registered
8 Posts
People run car tires becasue they are cheaper. However a car tire is not designed for a motorcycle. A motorcycle tire is thicker and more rigid and sides will not roll on corners where a car tire might if a little low on air. Is $50 or $100 really worth taking a chance on a wreck or no wreck. Just a thought/
Have you ever used one?
I ran them on my last three bikes.
Feels great and way more tread especially when you run over something.
I don't run car tires for cost reasons.
I do it for safety..... and piece of mind.

Plus run flat tires have very thick sidewalls.
And I have Cetramatic balancers 2 on front and 1 on back.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Another dis-believer until you try one. 🦄
Isaac

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
and the last time you dissected a motorcycle and car tire was when??

what part is supposed to be thicker on a MC tire, for I beg to differ on the thicker part
now, I agree the MC tire is more rigid than a CT,

but

how about this for thoughts...........
something is in the road
which will be most likely to grab the road and not be lifted off the road, pliable or stiff

there will always be those that will and those that won't
but there have been people that have since the 70s on Harleys

kind of like the oil question

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
169 Posts
A car tire being cheaper is one of the LAST reasons we do it. They last longer...better grip...better braking...handle more weight...handle more heat. I've seen MC tires come apart quite often. Thousands of riders with millions of miles on CT's and I've never heard of any serious issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts