Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2005 goldwing this weekend. It has a Kumho Ecsta SPT 195 55RF16 87V rear tire on it. I have not ridden a goldwing with the regular tire so I do not know how to compare. This bike runs great and handles great. Should I be concerned about this tire? Or did the previous owner have a good idea with this tire? I found this tire on the kumho website. The picture shows a much wider tire.

http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire.aspx?id=bd353bff-f16b-47e5-926f-a6daed9dd99f&cat=24

Any thoughts are appreciated

Nelson
Nashville, NC (yes there is another Nashville)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nelson,

Nothing to be concerned about. The Kuhmo run flat is a tried and true tire for the 1800. Be aware that it will behave differently in some situations like uneven ground and ruts in the road. Just think of a tire that is flat on the bottom and how it will behave when you run over uneven ground where one edge of the tire is on the ground and the other has nothing under it. It will push the bike to lean in the direction of the void. This is only a factor at slow speeds. Coming to a stop or moving slowly, at a stop sign, parking lot, gas station, etc. Just be aware of the behavior so you can plan ahead. Dont use the gas pump with uneven ground, avoid the rut in the road, park in a spot with flat ground, etc.

You will aslo notice some other stuff that you will like very much...

Better traction on wet roads, better handling on gravel, better braking ability, and the list goes on. You have undoubtedly already noticed that it has a very smooth ride and those little bumps you fell with a motorcycle tire are a thing of the past, and oh yes it is a run flat dont forget. So if you ever run over something that causes rapid trie defaltion you will not only be able to safley stop the bike, but you will also be able to drive it at zero air pressure at reduced speed for a limited distance to get it repaired or replaced. This has also been tested.

Don't be concerned about cornering. It is true that the car tire will corner a little differently than a round motorcycle tire, but if you keep kuhmo on you will find that it grips the road just a good as a motorcycle tire. Some say better.

Also be aware that tire pressure will be different in the kuhmo than you are used to with a motorcycle tire. Many run the kuhmo at 32 psi, but changing the pressure as little as 2 psi either way will change the way it handles. Experiment a little and you will find what is best for you.

If you want more info about running a car tire on the 1800 look into the GL1800Riders Forum under the sub forum Darksiders. You can ask questions there and find a wealth of information on the subject.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Some love them, some will have nothing to do with them. Since you have never rode a Gold Wing with a motorcycle tire on it I guess you won't have anything to compare it to. Also some get over 30,000 miles on a car tire and about 15,000 on a motorcycle tire. Unless you mount the tire your self you will probably have a hard time finding someone to do it. The shop I go to said they got word from HONDA to NEVER mount a car tire on a motorcycle, liability issues.
I would check with your insurance company and see of your covered in an accident if you have a non motorcycle tire on the bike.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've spoken with a friend that rides a Vision, and he's run car rubber on bikes before, he's going darkside as soon as his rear is done. He also is a mechanic and has his own tyre changing setup so liability isn't an issue for him. I admit that the idea intrigues me, but not sure I could do it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts