Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all if you have the time can you give me what car tire you are running for how many miles and what did it run you $. Thanks it will help me a lot.

·
Premium Member
23,805 Posts
I have an GL1800. My signature will tell you the size and brand tire I am running. Mine cost me $194 +/ - delivered. Keep in mind, though, that next time it will cost less ( how much I don't know yet ) as I have a local dealer shop that I can order it through. Mounting cost me about $16 taking in just my tire and rim.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a 195/55/16 Kuhmo RF just like Chopin. I have just under 4K on them and they still look brand new. The original tires lasted me 3k, and I went through 2 sets of 70 series E3's. Each of the E3's were bald by 3.5k. The CT is simply amazing when it comes down to mileage. Who knows how many miles I'll get out of them. They cost me $167 delivered to my door from TireRack.com and $20 for mount/balance.

I will get the 205/55/16's on the next go round. 1/4" wider and 1/2" taller. There is no going back to MT on the mighty Wing.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
My CT is also in my signature....I have only put on about 200 miles on mine due to work and other issues with the wing. That will be changing soon ( I hope). Like Larry it cost me $87 shipped to my door and nothing to put it on as me and my youngest son did it. I did have to carry it to a tire shop to have them fully seat the bead as my compressor at the time would not do it. That also will change as I am getting a new compressor for my new workshop.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I have seen what Larry has on his at the 1/2 way point with the Federal and I was wondering what the Kumho did for the price. I am at the point of finding a rim and then the tire Thanks and keep any info comeing.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Is anyone riding on a 175R 16 Dunlop Austone Taxi tire, I shure would like to know if they preform well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ran the Falken ran for 18K, can't remember the cost. Now running General G-Max, have 9K on it, cost $106 including mounting & tax.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Car Tire

Guys, I don't want to hijack this post but my question has always been: Does the car tire hold air any better than the mc tire? I do not know anyone with a car who has to check tire pressures weekly or more often. I have heard all kinds of reasons for the mc tire losing pressure quickly but none make much sense. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,805 Posts
Guys, I don't want to hijack this post but my question has always been: Does the car tire hold air any better than the mc tire? I do not know anyone with a car who has to check tire pressures weekly or more often. I have heard all kinds of reasons for the mc tire losing pressure quickly but none make much sense. Thanks
That's always bewildered me. Are we just more sensitive to the tire pressure on our bikes ? I'm running a plug in mine right now and I checked the pressure yesterday and it was within my acceptable range.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Holding Air.....I understand if you use Nitrogen in the tires, the air pressure doesn't fluctuate as much. The tire will also hold Nitrogen better.

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Nitrogen does not fluctuate to the ambient temps. Many racing programs utilize it, some tire companies do as well.

We at our place of buisness use Nitrogen for other aspects, we have plenty & this Ole Fossil never bothered using it in either application. Plain & simply because you need to Check your tires anyway & air compressors are easier.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Sorry to continue the Hijack.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Is anyone riding on a 175R 16 Dunlop Austone Taxi tire, I shure would like to know if they preform well.
There are quite a few from the Steve Saunders site that are running that tire. It is kinda pricey from what I hear.... $175. My car tire was $87 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My front MC tire looses a couple pounds a week it seems. The rear CT never seems to loose any pressure.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
tire pressure loss

Seems to me that not losing pressure in the rear tire would be another reason to go darkside. Also seems that Honda could have mounted the fill valve pointing to the right side since you can almost see it when on the side stand. I'm getting too old to lay on my back to look for the hidden valve stem. (Can't lay on my gut and look because its so big I can"t get low enough)

·
Premium Member
23,805 Posts
Seems to me that not losing pressure in the rear tire would be another reason to go darkside. Also seems that Honda could have mounted the fill valve pointing to the right side since you can almost see it when on the side stand. I'm getting too old to lay on my back to look for the hidden valve stem. (Can't lay on my gut and look because its so big I can"t get low enough)
Thinking about the C/T ? You have nothing to lose, especially air.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
I run this tire...Hankook Ventus V4 P205/55/R16 after running the runflats & really like it. I went with the slightly taller version because it is rated at close to a 1500 # load rating.So far I have 7,000 miles on them & at least half the tread life left. See pic's below. Granted I run pretty hard & ride everyday. Previous runflats I got about 11,000 miles out of them....which beat the 9,000 I would get out of a m/c tire. Paid $81.00 from Tirerack.

Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
I'm not trying to be the safety police but......I check my tire pressure every time I put the leg over the bike....And that's just about every day!

Mark

·
Premium Member
23,805 Posts
I run this tire...Hankook Ventus V4 P205/55/R16 after running the runflats & really like it. I went with the slightly taller version because it is rated at close to a 1500 # load rating.So far I have 7,000 miles on them & at least half the tread life left. See pic's below. Granted I run pretty hard & ride everyday. Previous runflats I got about 11,000 miles out of them....which beat the 9,000 I would get out of a m/c tire. Paid $81.00 from Tirerack.

Mark
I'm going with a 205 next time. Mark, you made a comment about your SO complaint of the tar snakes and that 205. Has her complaints fallen on deaf ears or are you considering a 195 next ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts