Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I called my local Honda Dealer to check on the frame recall. Just for kicks, I asked him what he thought about putting a car tire on the back.
:eek:I thought he would pass out:eek:
In no uncertain terms...he said with a thick redneck accent"A car tar would cause you to slam to the ground when turn on a curve; it has square edges you know":D

Thought you might like that

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Did you really think an autorized Honda dealer would say anything else?? Check their showroom and see how many car tires they stock...

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His reaction was about what I expected. The funniest part was the dramatics of making the turn and slamming to the road.....can't get that image out of my head.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
I'm still alive and well despite my ride through the twisties in West Virginia. Maybe I'm really just a figment of my own imagination.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
I'm still alive and well despite my ride through the twisties in West Virginia. Maybe I'm really just a figment of my own imagination.
You did very well on our trip. Only problem I had was the spray off of that car tire was making it hard to see and a mess of windshield ..:D:)

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
You did very well on our trip. Only problem I had was the spray off of that car tire was making it hard to see and a mess of windshield ..:D:)
" When you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes. " Could have been the back spray from my drink bottle catheter , though.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
More and more people are using car tires on motorcycles, better mileage and I guess some say they hold the road just as goods as a m/c tire. Since I have never tried one I can't say either way but I know no one on the concours or any other sport touring board are running them. The Sport tourers lean a lot more than the wing and I don't think it would work on a Sport Tourer.
I know the Kawasaki/Honda dealer I go to said they got a letter from Honda saying NEVER install a car tire on any motorcycle. Liability issues I guess. If I was going to run a car tire I would check with my insurance company first and see if I was still covered in case of a crash.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree 100% with Joe that a CT should not be used on a Concourse or any sportbike because the lean angle is too much for the CT to handle. However, for the Goldwing, the CT is an option for those willing to try one. The video you have is of a very square profile tire. Here's one of my Kuhmo RF which has a much rounder profile.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
To each his own.
One of my riding buddies had one ( a Car tire) on his 1800 for a season, was sure it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, then put the bike tire back on to see the difference.
Still running the bike tire, said he didn't realize how much handling he had given up using the car tire.
Guess I'll stick with the bike tires.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
For me the ride is still worth the quirks. If I were a " Ride Like a Pro " rider I might know what I am giving up.

·
Registered
741 Posts
To be honest, I've been wanting to do a side by side comparison with my old tire (E3 70 series) and my new tire (Kuhmo RF CT). My brother-in-law has his shod with the E3's so I am hoping that he will agree to switch off with me one day on an all day ride comparing notes. He is a very capable and knowledgeable rider having recently retired from professional racing, having even raced against Ben Spies before he went MotoGP. I'm also contemplating taking my Wing to a local track to see how the Kuhmo's hold up. It will be nice to ride up to the track and ride the track and ride back home. If I had the cash, I would buy a used rear rim and shod it with the E3's. But the best comparison would be side by side in my mind.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Still running the bike tire, said he didn't realize how much handling he had given up using the car tire.
Hi Ron, I'm curious having just switched to a CT, but do you know more specifically what your friend meant when he said that he had given up handling with a CT? Was it low/high speed, flickability, traction, etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Larry : You have a Car tire on your Wing too. Wow !! when did that happen ???????:D
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
Oh brother, now you've done it... LOL. You've opened pandora's box for Larry...:eek::D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
In reality guys, what you do that makes you happy (and safe) is your own decision. Most of you know my stand on c/t and motorcycles since I am a dealer and have to take a bit of a side with the Honda camp on it to keep peace in the family as well as not going way outside the box as far as corporate thinking goes. I totally understand the cost and mileage benefits and the very few handling shortcomings in day to day riding. Personally I would never do it and that's all I'll throw out on the subject (my choice and beliefs and I'll not try and persuade anyone otherwise). I just don't ever want to hear that any of us (or anyone else for that matter) went down because of a chance to save some bucks, be it on a c/t or a 'bargain' m/c tire. I run the best tires I can affordably get my hands on on both my current bikes, as well as my previous ones. It's all that's between me and the road when it comes right down to it. "asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts