Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me any information on what kind of ride that is? I am thinking of taking a ride that way from the BRP. If we don't do it this trip maybe we will work our way over there the next time we are out that way. Is it a nice motorcycle ride? It looks like it would be - to someone who doesn't live near the sea. How about taking it up through Newport Beach and along the coast in Del? Good ride?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
I’ve been through here, but not on a motorcycle. I had a meeting a few winters ago in Kitty Hawk. If you like the ocean and lighthouses it is a neat area to see. I’ve visited the Bodie Island lighthouse and seen whales breaching offshore. This is also the area where the Wright Brothers first flew. It’s on my list of places to ride to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This must be the least traveled route in the USA.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey charles,

I go to OBX about every year. As far as 'motorcycle rides go, it isn't for everyone. There are no twisties, there's a constant wind and then there's the sandtrap at every corner. The main roads are pretty staight.

Now, if that didn't scare you off, I will say that I take my bike when we go down for the week and I LOVE every minute of it. But it's more about the smells, sights, sounds and laid back atmosphere. We get on the bike in the late afternoon and ride until we are hungry and then go back.

The history is entertaining. Don't miss a guided tour of the wild horses near the Va. state line. It is worth every penny. The lighthouses and history around "Nags head" and pirate stories are priceless. You can't describe the feeling when you stand on the dune where the Wright Bro's lifted off. The wind is constant and incredible.

BTW, I am not a sun warrior. We go just after Labor Day. Last year was absolutely perfect. Low to mid 80's by day and mid 60's at night. I really wouldn't enjoy it during the summer months with highs in the 90's but that's just me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts