Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canter Stand

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  calcliff 
#1 ·
I have no problem putting my bike ON the center stand, my problem is getting it OFF the center stand.

After putting in on the stand, (which I can do in flip flops), I try rocking it off the stand, which was easy on my GL1500, but my GL1800 will scoot forward while remaining on the stand. (I have to get help to get it off the stand)

I have tried increasing/decreasing the rear shock pre-load and it hasn't worked.

The only thing I can think of is that the PO stated he had put a different tire size on the bike,

The rear tire size from the factory was 180/60/R16 now it is 180/70/R16, he stated that this corrected the speedometer.

Has anyone else changed the rear tire size? Did it affect difficulty getting bike off center stand?

I am about ready to get a ride off stand, but would rather keep it original.

Chiefsfan

See less See more
#2 ·
Huh ? This is a first. I claim the reverse problem. It takes at least twice the input energy to get it up as down. I run a 195/55/R16 on the rear so I'm a wee bit closer to ground which may explain the additional up input. Roll off is usually on the first forward heave-ho. Of course surface inclination can affect that. At the very least lube the pivot points on the center stand. How much do you weigh, if I may ask ?:icon_biggrin:

#3 ·
I am 5'7" and weigh about 170. My 1500 is a snap to get off the stand but this 1800 I heave/hoe and the best I can get is it will scoot forward sliding the stand forward but stays up on the stand.

I have heard putting the rear tire on a piece of plywood helps to get it on the stand, I might try that to see if it helps to get it off the stand, or maybe under the front wheel to help get it off

The only other thing that I can think of is that there is the slightest slope on the garage floor.

Right now I have to get someone to push from behind.

Chiefsfan

#4 · (Edited)
I'm 6'0 180 lbs. So we both can generate about the same momentum. With the center stand, look at the bottoms that contact with the ground. Anything peculiar about the curvature of the forward portions ? If you can " drag " that bike forward while on the center stand you should be a linebacker. BTW. On a level street surface would you have the same problem. Tell me your garage floor isn't epoxy painted ?

#5 ·
Haven't tried it on the street yet, always want to be sure I have someone to push in case.

You made me laugh about an epoxy floor, no mine is just smooth concrete.

I think I will take it to a local shop that I trust and see if they can spot the problem either with the bike or my technique. I was just hoping someone would know what the issue would be.

As far as being a linebacker, not even, if I heave really hard it will scoot an inch which makes me think there is a mechanical issue (if it will scoot is should come off the stand first)

#6 ·
My 1200 had the same issue. When I inspected it, the stops on the stand were bent allowing it to swing too far forward, causing the bike to have to lift in order for the stand to swing back.

#7 ·
Make sure your in neutral or have the clutch lever pulled in when you start the forward pull. In gear it will not come off the center stand unless your part Schwarzenegger. I have a ride off stand so going on and off is like spreading butter on a homemade biscuit.:applause: Isaac

#10 ·
I'd be inclined (no pun intended) to say the stand was binding somehow. They do lock into place a bit (safety) but they aslo rock off pretty easily. I can rock mine forward on a slight uphill grae no problem at all. Although you can see by my avatar I'm the specimen of physicality!:jawdrop1:

#11 ·
I went by my local motorcycle repair shop, that I trust, to have it checked out but they are closed on Monday's, so I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the ideas but it just seems like something is bent, like Cantankerous was saying, so rather than me putz around with it, I will leave this one to the professionals to figure out.

I finally got to the dealer/repair shop, I guess 1800's are just harder to get off the center stand than 1500's.

I will continue trying to get it down (pun intended) if not to my liking/ability I will have a drive off stand installed.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
I'm 5'7" and 170lbs too and I have a problem putting on the stand so I use a 3/4" board under the rear wheel. I have never been able to lift it without the board!
As for rocking it off the stand, I have never had a problem. I keep my left foot planted firmly on the ground, push forward on the handle bars( sometimes it takes a couple trys) and as soon as it the center stand releases I grab the front brake.

Good luck!

#14 · (Edited)
I don't push my bike off the stand, I pull it off the stand. Grab the left handle bar with your left hand, grab the bar just behind the riders seat, under the passenger seat with your right hand. Then plant your feet, make sure the kick stand is down and pull with your right arm. I can't imagine trying to rock or push with the handle bars. Pulling is the way to go. Just make sure that once it starts off the stand, get a good grip and let it settle on the kick stand. Kind of tippy at that point. That was the way I got my 1800 off but I didn't like that so I got a "ride off" and now its easy as pie.

#16 ·
The floor in my shop out back can cause a problem it is concret with a slick surface, getting a bike off the center stand can be a pain in the butt because it just wants to slide. The shop where I park my wing on the other hand is older and the floor not as slick and I don't have any problem. Maybe a rubber shop matt would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.