Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no problem putting my bike ON the center stand, my problem is getting it OFF the center stand.

After putting in on the stand, (which I can do in flip flops), I try rocking it off the stand, which was easy on my GL1500, but my GL1800 will scoot forward while remaining on the stand. (I have to get help to get it off the stand)

I have tried increasing/decreasing the rear shock pre-load and it hasn't worked.

The only thing I can think of is that the PO stated he had put a different tire size on the bike,

The rear tire size from the factory was 180/60/R16 now it is 180/70/R16, he stated that this corrected the speedometer.

Has anyone else changed the rear tire size? Did it affect difficulty getting bike off center stand?

I am about ready to get a ride off stand, but would rather keep it original.

Chiefsfan

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Huh ? This is a first. I claim the reverse problem. It takes at least twice the input energy to get it up as down. I run a 195/55/R16 on the rear so I'm a wee bit closer to ground which may explain the additional up input. Roll off is usually on the first forward heave-ho. Of course surface inclination can affect that. At the very least lube the pivot points on the center stand. How much do you weigh, if I may ask ?:icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I am 5'7" and weigh about 170. My 1500 is a snap to get off the stand but this 1800 I heave/hoe and the best I can get is it will scoot forward sliding the stand forward but stays up on the stand.

I have heard putting the rear tire on a piece of plywood helps to get it on the stand, I might try that to see if it helps to get it off the stand, or maybe under the front wheel to help get it off

The only other thing that I can think of is that there is the slightest slope on the garage floor.

Right now I have to get someone to push from behind.

Chiefsfan
I'm 6'0 180 lbs. So we both can generate about the same momentum. With the center stand, look at the bottoms that contact with the ground. Anything peculiar about the curvature of the forward portions ? If you can " drag " that bike forward while on the center stand you should be a linebacker. BTW. On a level street surface would you have the same problem. Tell me your garage floor isn't epoxy painted ?

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
My 1200 had the same issue. When I inspected it, the stops on the stand were bent allowing it to swing too far forward, causing the bike to have to lift in order for the stand to swing back.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Make sure your in neutral or have the clutch lever pulled in when you start the forward pull. In gear it will not come off the center stand unless your part Schwarzenegger. I have a ride off stand so going on and off is like spreading butter on a homemade biscuit.:applause: Isaac

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Try pulling the clutch in, grabbing the front brake a little and rocking the bike, letting off at the right time. Seems to work.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
My 1200 had the same issue. When I inspected it, the stops on the stand were bent allowing it to swing too far forward, causing the bike to have to lift in order for the stand to swing back.
This makes mechanical sense. I'm going to see what the center stand bumps into on my 1800. Whatever it is it does so with a significant amount of force. Best possible answer so far.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I'd be inclined (no pun intended) to say the stand was binding somehow. They do lock into place a bit (safety) but they aslo rock off pretty easily. I can rock mine forward on a slight uphill grae no problem at all. Although you can see by my avatar I'm the specimen of physicality!:jawdrop1:

·
Registered
51 Posts
the 70s is not made for the 1800... will work on the wing make your speedo spot on but has some limitations such as lower load rating ..60 or 70 lbs less ..it will make the bike taller ..in essence you now have a kind of ride off stand that doesn't work so well... put a 60 back on which is made for the 1800 and your problem will be solved best not to put a ride off stand with a 70 size tire on a 1800 .

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I think the slick floor could be the issue since if I heave real hard it will scoot forward, I had that problem with my 1200, with the 1200 I could put it on a small piece of carpet and it would help. I will try that, and re post to this thread and let everyone know.
So we don't suspect a bent center stand or stop plate yet ? So far you think you might just need more traction ? Do it on the tar pavement.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I don't push my bike off the stand, I pull it off the stand. Grab the left handle bar with your left hand, grab the bar just behind the riders seat, under the passenger seat with your right hand. Then plant your feet, make sure the kick stand is down and pull with your right arm. I can't imagine trying to rock or push with the handle bars. Pulling is the way to go. Just make sure that once it starts off the stand, get a good grip and let it settle on the kick stand. Kind of tippy at that point. That was the way I got my 1800 off but I didn't like that so I got a "ride off" and now its easy as pie.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
The floor in my shop out back can cause a problem it is concret with a slick surface, getting a bike off the center stand can be a pain in the butt because it just wants to slide. The shop where I park my wing on the other hand is older and the floor not as slick and I don't have any problem. Maybe a rubber shop matt would help.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
That 1500 was one of my favorite bikes, and both it and my current 1800 were/are pearl white (the fastest color). I just love that picture, when I was recovering from brain surgery an 8" x 12" of that picture was next to my bed motivating me to work towards a full recovery so that I could ride her again (my doctors thought I was crazy). I am happy to say I am riding again, this September I will ride from So Cal to Kansas City (where that picture was taken). I will take another picture with the new bike and fall colors then I might change the avatar.
Post any bike you want as long as it's white.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That 1500 was one of my favorite bikes, and both it and my current 1800 were/are pearl white (the fastest color). I just love that picture, when I was recovering from brain surgery an 8" x 12" of that picture was next to my bed motivating me to work towards a full recovery so that I could ride her again (my doctors thought I was crazy). I am happy to say I am riding again, this September I will ride from So Cal to Kansas City (where that picture was taken). I will take another picture with the new bike and fall colors then I might change the avatar.
Right on bro!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.