Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 1993 Goldwing 1500 with 69k miles. Since the previous owner had no history of timing belt changes, I decided to change belts. Once I removed the timing cover and lined up the timing marks, I noticed the right pulley mark (Up mark) was one tooth below the timing mark. After installing new belts, I had no problems lining up marks on the crankshaft and left timing pulley marks, but I am having issues keeping the right pulley on the timing mark.

On the right pulley, if I aligning pulley on timing mark, the timing belt will have a little slack along the bottom. As a result of slack, when I install belt under tensioner, the excess slack will cause pulley mark to advance one tooth above timing mark.
I attempted to remove slack, but there is not enough slack to mesh belt on pulley.

On the other hand, if I set the pulley mark below timing mark, the belt will have no slack along bottom. As a result, the belt will remain one tooth below timing mark after installing tensioner.

Any suggestion on how to keep right pulley on the timing mark?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
what I would try.......
not sure which you are turning to line up...... crank or cam
at any rate I would try turning the other one like half the distance and see what happens

·
Registered
689 Posts
Try setting the right side one tooth high and then turn the engine over by hand this should put all the belt slack at the tensioner and your timing marks should line up I do this all the time when replacing timing belts, the belt slack is what is causing the problem. You might have to do this more than once. Make sure that you turn the engine over by hand only, turn it over one complete cycle of two crank revolutions and your timing marks should line up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It is not uncommon for one cam to be off half a tooth. That is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: fossil92

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
I am in the same thought of Andy. My 1500 is exactly the same. That half tooth. Runs like a top.

Although you can certainly try the procedures indicated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts