Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be everyone's idea of a fun ride, but I attended one about 2 years ago. Gotta ride 2 hours to get there. It is fun to see these antiques come sputtering in and take a lunch break, while you get to check out what they are riding.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Motorcycle

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing F6B 40th Ed
83 Posts
I got excited for a second... but realized it is in US....
Is something like this happening in Canada??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this one started at the US-Canada border, North to South run ending at Florida. Google Cannonball run 2021, it should give route detail.
Each day is divided into morning and afternoon rides. Riders are restarted in the order in which the finished the last leg, at minute intervals, from there it is kinda run like a rally, all secondary roads, obey all laws.
When you see the bikes, you wonder how they make it at all. All must be American made bikes from the Era shone in the picture. Support teams, pit crew are allowed at stops.
The one I saw 2 years ago was an east -west ride.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I see they go through Mississippi. Too bad I'll most likely be out west somewhere late this month. But in case the western fire season fizzles out, I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Maynard - Thanks for the heads up on the Cannonball Motorcycle Run. It is scheduled to pass through Nacogdoches, Tx on the 23rd of Sept - only a couple of hours away. The wife has made the basic pre-trip preparations to attend which include reserving a hotel room, locating the nearby restaurants and scouting out any available wine tasting facilities in town. I've found that it's best to delegate the important stuff - so I can concentrate on the riding part.

It is amazing how those antique bikes are kept reliable enough to continue to clock 1,000's of miles on them. Looking forward to being there.

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Post pictures please! For those of us who can't make the route and need to live vicariously through others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have seen pictures of Henderson motorcycles over my 69 years breathing. This afternoon I stood next to six of them. I saw two Nortons from the teens or before. Didn't know they were building motorcycles then. Amazing to see all of them on the road. Some were well restored, some had a lot of patina but all of them were operating on the road. A total of 88 motorcycles left Michigan Friday morning. Incredible is all I can say.

Dave / Believer45
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle
Jeans Tire Wheel Trousers Fuel tank

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I've seen those in museums before, (Barbers & Wheels Through Time) but not on the road. Very cool.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is that a shaft drive on the last one?!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that's a BMW, unsure of year. This year they had changed the rules to include other than American made. Wanted to increase riders. Normally every two years, but they skipped 2020 due to covid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Schedule shows they are going to outer banks, Maggie valley, turning west and south ending up in Texas. Website shows a brief bio on riders, some pics of bikes. There was one guy and his wife in a sidecar. Harley, sidecar was woven like a basket, it looked like Aladdin's slipper.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Just think about this in the far away future, someone will be riding a GL1000 from 1975. I won't be around to see it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The wife and I spent a couple of days visiting Nacogdoches, Tx with plans to intercept the Cannon Ball Run participants when they stopped over for the night. As the bikes began to arrive you could hear (and sometimes smell) them well before you could see them. Mercy - a bit of piston slap, exposed rocker arms, no mufflers or air cleaners and little if any suspension sure does make a lot of racket on a brick street. It was incredible to see so many antique Indians, Nortons, Harley Davidson and Hendersons still on the road. In talking to many of the owners, it was obvious that they all were on a 1st name basis with every gasket, spring adjustment, nut and bolt on their bike. With all the pedals, shift handles and levers to pull on those things - I'd have needed a skilled passenger just to maintain control and keep me out of the ditch. 🙂

Even though these guys had been riding in the heat all day and I'm sure were tired, the whole group was very friendly and eager to talk about dealing with broken chains, slipping belts, dead magnetos and flat tires on this trip. As the bikes cooled down smokers were warned to be aware of the partially filled drip pans centered under most motors. The majority of the bikes didn't actually consume much oil while running, the haze drifting across the parking lot was from all the era related gas and oil leaks dripping down onto the exhaust pipes. After a couple of hours educating myself on how little I knew about these early machines they finally began to pack up and head for a well-deserved good night's sleep.

Great trip and lots of fun had by all - Ride Safe Michael
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Fuel tank Helmet Wheel Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Plant Property Building Architecture Hat

·
Registered
835 Posts
Did anyone see the announcement of the Cannon Ball Motorcycle Run winner ? Turned out to be #64 Dave Currie riding a 1911 belt drive single cylinder 7A HD. I think I talked to Dav briefly in Nacogdoches because he rode such a unique/pristine bike. When I had asked one of the other contenders that day how their scoring worked, I was jokingly told that after the 3,300 miles whoever crossed the finish line with the most original parts still attached - wins.

There actually turned out to be over 30 riders on Henderson, Excelsior, Indian and Harley's - with identical perfect scores of 3389 with no penalties. Anyone know how in the world the judges could possibly pick the winner out of such a great list of bikes and riders ?

Just Curious - Michael
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts