Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be everyone's idea of a fun ride, but I attended one about 2 years ago. Gotta ride 2 hours to get there. It is fun to see these antiques come sputtering in and take a lunch break, while you get to check out what they are riding.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Motorcycle

·
Registered
2015 Goldwing F6B 40th Ed
84 Posts
I got excited for a second... but realized it is in US....
Is something like this happening in Canada??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this one started at the US-Canada border, North to South run ending at Florida. Google Cannonball run 2021, it should give route detail.
Each day is divided into morning and afternoon rides. Riders are restarted in the order in which the finished the last leg, at minute intervals, from there it is kinda run like a rally, all secondary roads, obey all laws.
When you see the bikes, you wonder how they make it at all. All must be American made bikes from the Era shone in the picture. Support teams, pit crew are allowed at stops.
The one I saw 2 years ago was an east -west ride.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
I see they go through Mississippi. Too bad I'll most likely be out west somewhere late this month. But in case the western fire season fizzles out, I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey Maynard - Thanks for the heads up on the Cannonball Motorcycle Run. It is scheduled to pass through Nacogdoches, Tx on the 23rd of Sept - only a couple of hours away. The wife has made the basic pre-trip preparations to attend which include reserving a hotel room, locating the nearby restaurants and scouting out any available wine tasting facilities in town. I've found that it's best to delegate the important stuff - so I can concentrate on the riding part.

It is amazing how those antique bikes are kept reliable enough to continue to clock 1,000's of miles on them. Looking forward to being there.

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Post pictures please! For those of us who can't make the route and need to live vicariously through others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have seen pictures of Henderson motorcycles over my 69 years breathing. This afternoon I stood next to six of them. I saw two Nortons from the teens or before. Didn't know they were building motorcycles then. Amazing to see all of them on the road. Some were well restored, some had a lot of patina but all of them were operating on the road. A total of 88 motorcycles left Michigan Friday morning. Incredible is all I can say.

Dave / Believer45
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle
Jeans Tire Wheel Trousers Fuel tank

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I've seen those in museums before, (Barbers & Wheels Through Time) but not on the road. Very cool.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is that a shaft drive on the last one?!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that's a BMW, unsure of year. This year they had changed the rules to include other than American made. Wanted to increase riders. Normally every two years, but they skipped 2020 due to covid.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Schedule shows they are going to outer banks, Maggie valley, turning west and south ending up in Texas. Website shows a brief bio on riders, some pics of bikes. There was one guy and his wife in a sidecar. Harley, sidecar was woven like a basket, it looked like Aladdin's slipper.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
7,580 Posts
Just think about this in the far away future, someone will be riding a GL1000 from 1975. I won't be around to see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts