Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have some news regarding my ongoing GPS situation. As I've mentioned in a couple previous posts, I got the upgrade card and did the replacement. Since I'm a dealer, I thought it would be a good way to gather input to share with the forum as to whether it's a benefit to do it (it costs $300+ up here) or if it's a waste of coin. I'm also going to forward my findings to GWRRA too.
As mentioned before, one of the contact pins actuall pulled out when I ejected the old card and then the new card wouldn't install and upload the data, so all my map info disappeared. The eject button on the unit is difficult to see and operate (at least it was for me anyway). The card can be pulled out by hand IF YOU ARE CAREFUL (the tech guys I spoke to at Honda Canada told me they do it all the time) and pull it out straight. Inserting the new card should be simple plug and play but be careful all the same.
So, now I'm in the process of getting a new unit (warranty claim is in process) and then I'll see how the upgrade changes things. As soon as that happens I'll post everything I can good OR bad so everyone up here can form their own conclusions from there.
I can say this: the techs at Honda were very accomodating and extremely helpful and sympathetic to my cause. If anyone has issues with something on their bike, go to a reputable dealer and get them to contact the support tech folks (same for you in the US I'm thinking) their number is listed in the dealership's sales and marketing guide that they recieve from the company every year. Bear in mind that this isn't a consumer gripe line, just dealer support and tech info. But your dealer should be able to talk to these people and get answers for you.
More as soon as I can. Keep riding!:D
Daryl

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its good that you are posting your findings as you go so others can benefit from it. My experience as a Ham Radio operator with electronics is to always be light fingered with any plug in cards just like you warned,pins can break off or be bent so easily.I have a Kantronics Terminal Node Controler that to get at the solid state control board inside requires unplugging the face plate with about 6 or 7 LED lights on it,and that is an excercise in patience and dexterity of fingers,not so much trouble taking it apart but plugging all those leds back in all at the same time is difficult.
There will be undoubtedly others that will in time want to change cards as you are doing and for them to read your posts will be helpful to avoid mistakes.

My Ham Call for the Ham ops. out there is VE7EAB :)
Figured someones bound to ask.

-Robert-

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the whole plan Robert. I figure why not me be the trial and error guy (wasn't planning on being so darn literal though) and then I'd have first hand knowedge of the value or lack thereof. Just as I try and test all my products the more first hand information I have, the better service I can provide to my customers, and if I can be a source of information here, why not?;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Incidentally budoka, if you get on the garmin website, you can get the installation instructions for putting in the CF card. I can't recall the details but it wasn't as simple as just inserting the new card. Something about turning on the ignition at a certain point in the process. Awaiting details..........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Difference between US and Canada Navigation units

Is there a difference between the US and Canadian navigation units? I tried to update my unit and it failed. When I turn the key to acc and insert the card the goldwing symbol and the rising earth loop back and forth. I think the card screwed up the unit and I am thinking of ordering a new unit online, but I am not sure if the US unit and Canadian units are the same. Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
wingriderkk, I believe that there is a difference in the type of memory card that is in the nav unit. I think that US models had an SD card while Canadian models ahd a CF card. Might also be by year of the ride also.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a procedure to follow, whether you get the card from Garmin or Honda. Key off, remove the card, insert the new card, turn key to acc position and let the Navi do the upload. Do NOT trun the key off once the upload commences until it is completed. The units for US and Canadian models are different due to the different cards they accept and use. Sorry I can't access the US unit part #, but the Cdn # is 39201-MCA-N80. Any Honda dealer in the US can look that unit part # up for you. I doubt that Garmin dealers would have the Honda number though, but they should be able to identify the cards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do not turn key off

Not sure if I turned the key off during the initial upload, but I have followed the procedure (several times) and I still have the looping with the honda goldwing symbol and the rising earth. Is there any way to flash the navigation unit?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a forced update procedure in the service manual, but it specifies '06-'08 USA models. If you have a different model than that I wouldn't try it. I'll call the tech line on Monday and see if the reset will work on other than those specified. I checked my '09 Cdn model and it has the hole for the reset, but I wouldn't do it with out talking to Honda first. The procedure is in 24-33 & 34 of the Nav/XM section. If you don't have a manual I can e-mail the pages to you or fax if you prefer. Just PM me and we can exchange information.
Daryl

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

So yesterday I installed the new Navi box and installed the updated CF card. System didn't seem to go through the update process (that I could see anyway) so I took a chance and just left it alone. Anyhoo, on the way home I was monkeying around with the system, stopping on about every third pullout on the highway to change zoom settings etc, and was both surprised and disappointed in what I was able to do with it. There's more detailed info (range roads, etc) there, but the "unverified road" banner still shows on the top of the screen. Interestly enough, Hwy 2 now shows up as a range or township road, depending on the direction of travel once outside the town limits. There is now the street names in my summer village on the display. Riding through town this morning, the street #'s are there (weren't before) and the display is more detailed. As for any of the other functions, I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'll keep posting more as I discover it as time goes by.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks budoka, been looking forward to the info. As of now, is the only disappointing thing the "unverified road" banner ? Could you give us a general thumbs up or down for this upgrade after a few weeks ? The lttle lady and I are cruising across the Rock onto PEI and Nova Scotia this summer and maybe the upgrade would be worth it. Also, Just had the 12K maintenance done. Had the oil changed though it wasn't deemed necessary according to the manual. What would you suggest regarding oil change intervals. Thanks again, Lyndon.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lyndon, As long as you are watching the condition of your oil, you can push the interval a bit, but I wouldn't go too far; don't want to do anything that could get the warranty cops on your tail. If however you go to synthetic, you can use the oil company's recommended interval (see the Amsoil posts or their website). Synthetics are typically double the petroleum based oils. After reading the test results over the past winter, I'm sure NOT going to use the Honda HP4 anymore. It ranked amoung the lowest of all the oils tested, and the HD oil didn't fare very well either. Don't know who makes them but I'd like to think that the manufacturers would want the best possible blood in the veins of their machines, but obviously not. I've got Amsoil and their filter sitting in my shop waiting to go in the scoot in about two weeks. Going to do the rear drive too, likely make that an annual thing.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I've got some more time/miles on the bike since the new data card is installed. The damaged card holder was replaced under warranty by Honda in what was a very short time (less than a week from order to install) and from there everything went smooth as silk. There is way more information than was previously available on the old card, but the major highway I commute on daily (Hwy 2 that travels from the Ab/Mt border all the way to Alaska still shows as unverified on the display from town to my turn off 18 miles west. South of town to Edmonton is a different story, all is well. The detail is really good and the map shows park bounderies in the city, different shades for hospital, schools etc (this feature also shows in town here). I got stormed out on my cross-country jaunt for the last two days so I couldn't try some uncharted area to see if it is that much more useful than before. My next road trip is back to Edmonton for a visit to another dealership, so I'll see what I can do with some routing. Stay tuned, the jury is still out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cdn GPS

Budoka,

Thanks for all of this info re a Canadian GPS update...I have been trying for some time here in Montreal to acquire this without luck. Honda says call Garmin, and Garmin says call Honda!!

The part number that you have quoted; is that for the CF card? If so, I'll check with my dealer once again.

Cody777

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Cody that is for the CF card. I got the same response from Garmin when I contacted them for help when the contact pin got fubar'd. The guy at Garmin I spoke to wasn't interested at all in trying to help out. I'm lucky to have the tech support people at Honda Canada to deal with direct. They are great, but the general public doesn't have that option, and have to rely on the good graces of their dealership; hopefully the majority of dealers are as concerned with keeping their customers happy as we are.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I've had the updated card in the bike for a while now. As mentioned earlier, there is way more info on the display now: street and avenue detail, hospitals, schools, parks lots of high-lighted things. Even the names of the roads in my summer village are there, wow. Still have the "unverified road" banner lots of times and Highway 2 sometimes shows as a range road or a township road (although it occasionally does also show the hwy 2 crest at the same time as well ?). I haven't had the chance to try any routing or go to programming yet, but I'm getting there sometime soon. Retail on the card update is $329 Cdn which isn't cheap, but my take is that it is worth the coin so far, just be carefull if you do the swap to avoid the pin issue I had, they're easily damaged. The eject button for the card is difficult to see/find, and should prevent any damage to the pins. My wife is impressed at the detail compared to her Acura RL so that speaks in favour of the upgrade. She got an upgrade for her car to the tune of $460 and it did almost nothing beneficial (are you listening Garmin/Honda?). I'll post more when I can, but yes, I think it's a plus.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Once again, thanks budoka. Would you please update us Canadian folks on the exact CF card part number again. The beer budget might have to suffer for this one ! Cheers!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Part # 39250-MCA-L20. Now write it down this time hehe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts