Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 7 days on the road last week. Visited Montreal and Quebec City, lots of back roads and covered 3200 miles and 11 states. A blast of a trip.

Even saw the lifesize 1600 pound chocolate moose at Lenlibby.com in Portland ME.

This was also the first trip I had a gps (garmin 255 wt)with me and one of the best money spent for mc touring. I'd STILL be in Quebec City trying to get out amidst all the construction.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. Which route did you take up and back? I would love to ride up to New England and into Nova Scotia some day. I mounted my Garmin a few weeks ago and love having that as a rolling map to keep up with the route. But I still have paper maps to go by. Old school I guess but I feel naked without them.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Glad you had a great and safe trip. Don't you just love those GPS units? They sure can be lifesavers. Like Crownfire, I too carry a road atlas in my trunk (just in case).. Ride safe and often..

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Glad you had a great trip bullseye. Welcome home, Do you have any pictures to post?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI guys,
I'm absolutely horrendous about taking pics. I didn't even carry a camera, just never got in the habit of using one on trips.

Because I only had 7 days I had to use interstate goig up and coming back. To montreal from columbus GA, started I-185, then I-85 to charlotte, I-77 and in VA picked up 81 which took me into Ontario (the thousand Island bridge view was spectacular!), FYI, I left on 3 July and encountered a 6+ mile traffic jam at the I-77/I-81 interchange. A nightmare, actually fell in behind another rider and we rode the shoulder up, I'd had to stop as my bike started to overheat. Did make it thru fine tho I'm sure the motorists weren't not happy with me, it was either or overheat. (I bled the radiator at the hotel that nite, it had just had 24k service and think perhaps an air bubble was the cause).

Stayed with friends in Montreal for a couple days, then took part can 40 and part chemin du roy(a scenic route) to quebec city. Quebec City to sherbrooke by back roads, then into maine by backroads over to portland.

The return leg, hearing horror stories about I95, I took I90(?) back over to 81 and did the reverse route home.

At one point in the ride, think I was tired, I accidentally hit the kill switch while on the interstate in the fst lane, WOW!!! Does that bike drop speed when yo ukill the engine. Made it to the shoulder and immediately figured out I'd hit the switch.

The GPS was an absolute life saver for me, I did have an atlas as well which helped me plan the next day's ride.

Scenery wise the road from Quebec City thru Sherbrooke, Maine and NH were probably some of the nicest scenery, tho road surfaces on the maine backroads were not so good.

Next year I'm going to do a lap around Lake Erie I think.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Thanks for the information. I’ll add the scenic roads to my bucket list. Going around Lake Erie would be neat. The difficult part will be through Detroit. If you do I recommend the Ambassador Bridge, especially if you are heading into Detroit. I always loved that view. The back roads were pretty neat east of Toledo 35 years ago when I drove them.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Glad you had such a good trip bullseye. Quebec City is charming to say the least. Montreal is just too much city for my open air blood, but the trip along the St Lawrence between the two is beautiful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
North East and Canada Trip

I'm planning a trip to the north east and Canada also. What road did you take from Quebec City to sherbrooke. Was it 55 or 112. Also where is the thousand Island bridge?

Thanks,

HI guys,
I'm absolutely horrendous about taking pics. I didn't even carry a camera, just never got in the habit of using one on trips.

Because I only had 7 days I had to use interstate goig up and coming back. To montreal from columbus GA, started I-185, then I-85 to charlotte, I-77 and in VA picked up 81 which took me into Ontario (the thousand Island bridge view was spectacular!), FYI, I left on 3 July and encountered a 6+ mile traffic jam at the I-77/I-81 interchange. A nightmare, actually fell in behind another rider and we rode the shoulder up, I'd had to stop as my bike started to overheat. Did make it thru fine tho I'm sure the motorists weren't not happy with me, it was either or overheat. (I bled the radiator at the hotel that nite, it had just had 24k service and think perhaps an air bubble was the cause).

Stayed with friends in Montreal for a couple days, then took part can 40 and part chemin du roy(a scenic route) to quebec city. Quebec City to sherbrooke by back roads, then into maine by backroads over to portland.

The return leg, hearing horror stories about I95, I took I90(?) back over to 81 and did the reverse route home.

At one point in the ride, think I was tired, I accidentally hit the kill switch while on the interstate in the fst lane, WOW!!! Does that bike drop speed when yo ukill the engine. Made it to the shoulder and immediately figured out I'd hit the switch.

The GPS was an absolute life saver for me, I did have an atlas as well which helped me plan the next day's ride.

Scenery wise the road from Quebec City thru Sherbrooke, Maine and NH were probably some of the nicest scenery, tho road surfaces on the maine backroads were not so good.

Next year I'm going to do a lap around Lake Erie I think.

Chris

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Sounded like a great trip but too bad you could not have made it to the Maritimes and particularly the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Maybe another time. Worth the Ride. The end of the month they are having a bike rally called "Thunder in the Highlands". No charge and lots of rides.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I took 116 out of quebec city which ties into 55 about 20 miles northwest of sherbrooke, much nicer scenery than the interstate, go thru lots of farmland and small nice towns, probably some of the best scenery on the trip for me.

The thousand Island bridge is the crossing point if you take I 81 north and crosses into CA near Kingston, Ontario.

I'm planning a trip to the north east and Canada also. What road did you take from Quebec City to sherbrooke. Was it 55 or 112. Also where is the thousand Island bridge?

Thanks,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've given a lot of thought to NS ride, it's just so far, I'd actually looked at flying into Montreal, renting a bike and riding from there, perhaps next year.

So what's the temp like in NS during the day this time of year?

Chris

Sounded like a great trip but too bad you could not have made it to the Maritimes and particularly the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. Maybe another time. Worth the Ride. The end of the month they are having a bike rally called "Thunder in the Highlands". No charge and lots of rides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts