Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has come up before but I am looking for some input. I have had several people ask me if a motorcycle licensed and insured in Canada could be sent or ridden to MN then converted to a trike and ridden back over the border. Seems like it should be OK but I don't want to commit unless I know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
I know this has come up before but I am looking for some input. I have had several people ask me if a motorcycle licensed and insured in Canada could be sent or ridden to MN then converted to a trike and ridden back over the border. Seems like it should be OK but I don't want to commit unless I know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.
I would think, NOT an issue. Registered originally as a 2 axle vehicle, and back over the border as a 2 axle vehicle.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Lee, that fool couldn't find his rear end with both hands, just saying.
The last I knew, any US conversions had a very hefty cross border tariff assigned to them. One of my customers looked into it and they considered a conversion a "new" bike. Some really stupid laws in this country. But check with your local registry office, they should be able to tell you.

·
Premium Member
23,498 Posts
Lee, that fool couldn't find his rear end with both hands, just saying.
The last I knew, any US conversions had a very hefty cross border tariff assigned to them. One of my customers looked into it and they considered a conversion a "new" bike. Some really stupid laws in this country. But check with your local registry office, they should be able to tell you.
Just stirring the pot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would think, NOT an issue. Registered originally as a 2 axle vehicle, and back over the border as a 2 axle vehicle.
I would call a dealer in upstate NY. They know the answer. I know when I was shipping a bike back from Germany it had to meet U.S. Specs. The tag with the VIN was the clue. I had a German Dealer get me a new Tag to rivet in place of the original.

And what is this about "two axles"?? My truck has two axles.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Terry, the import regs in this land of ours are really messy. The customer I spoke of was planning on buying a wing, taking it across the border to have the conversion done, and when he checked into bringing it home he changed his mind due to the costs involved. Even buying a used trike in the US and bringing it to Alberta was grossly inflated on the crossing fees and then the out of province inspection and registration was more than he was willing to deal with. The "invisible line" has lots of barbed wire in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts