Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I bought a 2004 gold wing and there was a small issue on the valve cover maybe put away wet or salt distortion on it. I'm wondering if any one seen this before and if they were abl
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood
e to polish it out.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I did that on my 1985. I removed the valve cover and used automotive grade paint stripper to remove the clear coat. The some 0000 steel wool to polish out the bad spots.
I then used some good aluminum polish to really clean them up, followed by prepsol to remove the wax from the polish.
Then VHT high temp clear coat. It was a of work, but the covers looked better than when they were new.
I would suggest getting new gaskets.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did that on my 1985. I removed the valve cover and used automotive grade paint stripper to remove the clear coat. The some 0000 steel wool to polish out the bad spots.
I then used some good aluminum polish to really clean them up, followed by prepsol to remove the wax from the polish.
Then VHT high temp clear coat. It was a of work, but the covers looked better than when they were new.
I would suggest getting new gaskets.
Thanks for the post and including what to use to get the job done. My '08 has the chrome plastic covers over the valve covers, but they won't last forever, so I will eventually need to go down this road.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the post and including what to use to get the job done. My '08 has the chrome plastic covers over the valve covers, but they won't last forever, so I will eventually need to go down this road.
Just word of caution. When using the VHT, start with a very light coat. It does have a tendency to run easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts