Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Before you go ripping your forks off and apart, check this out. I had a leaky fork on my FJR and used this product and stopped the leak. I did go ahead and change the oil but fork repair was not needed and saved a ton of money with this. If it works, don't knock it I always say....
http://www.sealmate.net/ :)Isaac

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
When I ordered mine, I got about 4 sets. They are pretty thin and can be damaged and I used 1 per fork. Turns out that it was just dirt causing the weeping. The shop wanted $250 to do the forks if I brought them in. All total, I saved about $235 dollars although the fork oil was a little expensive. I have put about 800 miles on the bike since then and they are working like new. Highly recommend using this as a first try at stopping the leaks. Beware of the oil that is in the forks if you do change it. I have never ever smelt anything that bad. Don't know why it stunk so much but dang, it made a pole cat seem like Channel #5. :eek:Isaac

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
By the way, if you decide to drain and re-fill the forks with new oil, I suggest that after you start to drain the oil, hang the forks upside down on something, work the cylinder several times and let it drain overnight. It takes a long time for all that oil to seep out. And it is not a job you want to do very often so take the time and do it right. Measure the amount of oil you get out of each fork and check the specs to see if that is the amount recommended. Then put back exactly the recommended amout of new oil. I drained mine through a coffee filter just to check for metal filings and stuff. Found none so I am convinced that the fix was a good one.:D Isaac

1 - 3 of 3 Posts