Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, My front seals leak. 1996 Aspencade. I was told by the folks that service my bike, it would be around 500.00 bucks to replace the seals. That seems a bit pricey, and I have been doing mechanical work since I was a kid. I take my bike to a local shop as I don't have time to change tires ect. Winter the bike sits probably until around April, do I need any special tools to service the fork tubes? What about "progressive" springs? Thanks,

Doug Blackburn
Yucaipa Ca

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'll be! Pretty slick, Isaac!:cool:

I'd try this first, in fact my right fork weeps a bit and just replaced them in Feb!:mad: I'll bet this will work for me.

If it doesn't work for you, then you can pull the forks and have them done, so your dealer/shop needs to quote just that work. Or, you can rebuild them yourself easy enough. The toughest part is removing and replacing the top nut. Having a heavy-set friend (perhaps a wife?:p) lean onto the socket or wooden dowel will make removal without squirting washers and such all over easy as well as installation.

The next time I'm in mine, I'm definitely installing Progressive Springs. Heard too much good about them not to. Good luck!
Thanks for all the advice. My ride is very poor at best. The rear shock also bottoms out. Without running out to look, I have put around 21,000 miles on the bike since I bought it April of 2011. I bought it to ride to work, 84 mile round trip every day. Because of the mileage, I'm thinking replace everything. Make that 14,000 miles. I went out to get my Clymers manual and checked the mileage. Do you all think a Clymers is good enough? So far it seems to be spot on for the few things I have worked on. I'll probably start ater Christmas, and rebuild it with some of my tax monies. Thanks again for all the response. I will be happy to add photo's for the repair as I go, it may help someone down the way.

Doug

P.S. I lost my Golden Retriever a couple of years ago. This one is named Elvis. He belongs to a friend of mine. He jumped right up there when I said "Get Up". I was surprised. Going for a ride, that might be another post some day...................

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts