Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not yet have my Gold Wing, but I've gotten great advice from everyone on what to look for as I do my research and narrow my choices.

Right now I am leaning toward a 2010 model. I was on one recently and with my short inseam (30") I wonder if I can ever get my feet flat on the ground?

I jumped on the Gold Wing by myself, and I had to rest on the balls of my feet when the bike was straight up at a stop. I asked the salesman if there was anything I could do to lower the height and he said, "Nope, but you'll be fine." I wonder.

I started noticing others out riding, and they all seemed to have their feet flat on the ground when stopped (just as I did when I used to ride my old non-Gold Wing model Honda).

So, who else out there is just over 5'7" and what advice do you have?

Steve

·
Banned
15 Posts
Steve,
I'm just under 5'9" with a 30" inseam and know how you feel.The salesman is wrong. There are a couple of things you can do (maybe more). One is to buy a custom seat that will get you closer to the ground at stops. You can Google lowering kits for the Goldwing. I don't have the URL, but there are places that sell them and they lower the bike for us shorter guys. Or you can do what I did. When I test rode the Goldwing, I could not flat foot it at stops. Upon returning to the dealer, the salesman checked the pre-load setting and found it to be at 25. Lowering the setting to about 10 made all the difference in the world. Worked for me. You may want to try it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I watched a story of a very short woman who's life long dream to become an airline stewardess, but she was just too short. she went to her doctor who put clamps around her legs and then broke them and every day they would tighten down on some bolts that would make her legs just a little longer after what probably seemed to be forever she was finally tall enough to get the job.
I am just saying body modification may be something you haven't thought of, after all it would be a shame to hurt the ride of a Wing.:D:D:D

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Y'all are bad.

Go back to the dealer and check how it sits with lower preload on the rear spring. Also a custom seat, while not cheap, will make a difference. I have the other problem, being a little tall for the wing. A friend who is a little bigger had a custom seat that sits him a little higher and farther back. I think between the two you will find your sweat spot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMO, you really do not want to have to be on your toes to support a Goldwing.

1) It is not a light bike that can reliably be handled on your toes

2) If you stop on an uneven surface and put your foot down on the low side, you are quite possibly going to dump the bike. The good news is that the Wing is well protected.

Two things: If the Wing you were on had floorboards. they make you reach out a bit further. Standard pegs are a bit better.

If you wear boots with a little more heel (e.g. western boots), that will help significantly especially vs. a shoe with a low or non existent heel.

The other option is a trike, then you don't have to worry ;-)

Ken

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The seat and the footwear options are the best solutions. Lowering the bike itself can cause handling/clearance issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
I have a 29 inseam and if I lower the suspension to about 10 I can have my feet flat..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions/recommendations. It appears that the best (first) options are: get thick-soled boots; have the seat custom lowered.

I will start looking into these options.

Cheers!
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.