Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I do a 500 mile ride w/ a bad stator ???

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pidjones 
#1 ·
With an extra battery or two; and a battery charger ( stop and charge up batteries ) would it be ok to drive a 500 mile trip to get moto home (1986 Interstate ) regards Fred / Any ideas, suggestions or concerns ??? thanks

#2 ·
Can it be done? Yes. But, consider: what do you do when it dies at the worst possible moment due to low system voltage? Mr. Murphy will be riding shotgun with you the whole way.
I'd suggest finding a way to trailer it (Uhaul rents a bike trailer).

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If you can find a way to strap about 4 car batteries to the bike, and then disconnect all your lights, it may be possible.
We had a riding buddy lose his alternator on the way to the Honda hoot years ago. He put a car battery in his side car and we rode another 100 miles. We did pull the fuse for the headlights though.

#4 ·
It could be done. Are you sure it's the stator and not the three yellow wire connections?

Reactions: W1ngin1t
#5 ·
That would be the first thing I'd check, the stator/ regulator connector. The issue would be, if the connector is damaged, is just how long it has been having this issue. A corroded or burnt connector can cause heat build up in the stator windings and break down the insulation on the stator windings. Best to check the connector and ohm out the stator windings.

Reactions: Cantankerous
#9 ·
I was on tour when my stator stop charging properly, and this is what I found. The stator will put some charge back into the battery. So if you fully charge the battery overnight and you don't run your lights (very easy with your 1200, just don't turn them on) you can get a 6 hr riding day in. If you are doing this....................you don't want to be starting your bike very often.
So.........................carry a small battery charger and a volt meter.
To check out what I am saying here with the stator still putting a small amount of charge. Charge the battery up, start the bike up, and get it to 3,000 rpms, then check the volts. It will show 14 volts. But it can't maintain this over the whole day. It will give you enough battery charge for 6 hours riding.
I finished my 5 day ride doing this.

#10 ·
I was on tour when my stator stop charging properly, and this is what I found. The stator will put some charge back into the battery. So if you fully charge the battery overnight and you don't run your lights (very easy with your 1200, just don't turn them on) you can get a 6 hr riding day in. If you are doing this....................you don't want to be starting your bike very often.
So.........................carry a small battery charger and a volt meter.
To check out what I am saying here with the stator still putting a small amount of charge. Charge the battery up, start the bike up, and get it to 3,000 rpms, then check the volts. It will show 14 volts. But it can't maintain this over the whole day. It will give you enough battery charge for 6 hours riding.
I finished my 5 day ride doing this.
All US spec GoldWings are factory wired for the headlights to be on at all times the key is ON (except while running the starter).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.