Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an extra battery or two; and a battery charger ( stop and charge up batteries ) would it be ok to drive a 500 mile trip to get moto home (1986 Interstate ) regards Fred / Any ideas, suggestions or concerns ??? thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can it be done? Yes. But, consider: what do you do when it dies at the worst possible moment due to low system voltage? Mr. Murphy will be riding shotgun with you the whole way.
I'd suggest finding a way to trailer it (Uhaul rents a bike trailer).

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you can find a way to strap about 4 car batteries to the bike, and then disconnect all your lights, it may be possible.
We had a riding buddy lose his alternator on the way to the Honda hoot years ago. He put a car battery in his side car and we rode another 100 miles. We did pull the fuse for the headlights though.

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
It could be done. Are you sure it's the stator and not the three yellow wire connections?

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
That would be the first thing I'd check, the stator/ regulator connector. The issue would be, if the connector is damaged, is just how long it has been having this issue. A corroded or burnt connector can cause heat build up in the stator windings and break down the insulation on the stator windings. Best to check the connector and ohm out the stator windings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be done. Are you sure it's the stator and not the three yellow wire connections?
the plug looked bad and did by pass it and rewire and ran good for 500 miles and now not charging; might just rent a van from Memphis or Birmingham ??? soon ; slight overheating issue too ???

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Ohm out your stator wires, if they checkout okay then move on to the regulator. Here is a link on how to check your stator: Stator Problems - How to Test a Stator
Let's hope it is your regulator that is at fault, replacing the stator on a Gold Wing can be very daunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts