Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my ride from California to DC and back through New Orleans, Austin, Boca Chica and Phoenix came to an end after Fort Stockton, Texas. Texas makes some good strong concrete, ran into a 4x4x6 section in the middle of the road and it beat both of my rims up. Hit it at 75mph just after sunset

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
Holy crap, glad you are okay.

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
14,922 Posts
A Crap on a Cracker moment. Sure glad to hear you are okay. Getting new wheels and continuing the trip?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey Towed - Yikes, thank goodness you were able to safely stop with two damaged rims. You're one hell-of-a lucky duck ! It was bad enough one time when I hit a big piece of retread tire off an 18 wheeler (road alligator) that cured me of riding at night. I agree with NREMTP, Texas owes you at least some rims.

Michael

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Wow! Very glad you had the wherewithal to hang in there and get stopped!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dang....that story and picture makes every 2 wheel rider cringe....it is one of those "Oh S###" moments. Ft. Stockton, TX on map does not look like the place you are going to find rims/tires for GW after sundown.
Thankful you stayed calm and guided the big girl to stop.

·
Super Moderator
15,037 Posts
glad you are ok! so are only your rims damaged

Reactions: TowedJumper

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang....that story and picture makes every 2 wheel rider cringe....it is one of those "Oh S###" moments. Ft. Stockton, TX on map does not look like the place you are going to find rims/tires for GW after sundown.
There's a 3 week back order, so no, nothing will happen quickly at this point.. Ended up having it hauled to Golden Motorsports in Odessa, starting the claim with the insurance company, leaving the bike, and flying home from Midland, TX. Will have to fly back after its fixed and ride it the rest of the way home, hopefully its quick so I can beat the intense summer heat that happens in phoenix and the like.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ft. Stockton barely has an auto parts store and no motorcycle shops of any kind (at least none that google would tell me of). Odessa was the best option and even then there were no places that stocked rims. Rather depressing at 9pm to discover all of this and then the towtruck driver is 1.5 hours out at the earliest, Geico's app could pinpoint my location but wouldn't transmit that to the claim file so I ended up having to walk to the nearest mile marker to give the towtruck operator the mile marker location. Dumpster fire upon an already frustrating experience but like anything else on a road trip you have to just roll with it because 30 minutes later your situation won't have changed one bit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
glad you are ok! so are only your rims damaged
The quick inspection said rims and tires both need to be replaced but thinking about how much force was applied to that rim makes me want to have them more closely inspect the front suspension. They looked but I fear they focused on the obvious more than the little things like the independent suspension up front.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Towed - Yikes, thank goodness you were able to safely stop with two damaged rims. You're one hell-of-a lucky duck ! It was bad enough one time when I hit a big piece of retread tire off an 18 wheeler (road alligator) that cured me of riding at night. I agree with NREMTP, Texas owes you at least some rims.

Michael
This trip of mine went ok, even despite having this happen. Perspective tells me I REALLY shouldn't have been able to walk away from that event without at least laying the bike down. Front tire complete and instant decompression at 75 mph at dark, in the damp? Nope.

On the way to DC we had a semi blow a tire about 20 yards in front of our pack of motorcycles (12 of us in a tight staggered formation). Its the oddest thing though, not a single large piece of tire to speak of. 1 inch by 12 inch strips and dust/sand/smoke everywhere and after looking at all the road gators I think we all know that's not how they usually let go. I'd hesitate to use spiritual terms like miracle and guardian angel but I don't know what else to call these kinds of things. Defies logic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually hit the concrete, got bounced around and then saw the TPMS warning light instantly come on. Bike kept on riding like nothing was wrong (or my adrenaline wiped the memory of issues). Tire pressure went to 3 dashes (I always ride with Front pressure on the display because I worry about that the most) and after about 5 seconds displayed a 0, after which I convinced myself that there was in fact a problem and began pulling over to the right. On my way through the number 2 lane (of 2 lanes) the front tire started feeling mushy or I became aware of it.

I am pretty sure what saved me is my consistent use of the foot/rear brake to do most of my stopping whenever I ride. Its not intentional, I know it doesn't slow you down as fast but its just dumb luck because I went back to it when slowing down. Applying that let me slow the bike with a rear emphasis and I used it sparingly as I slowed down. Got to the side of the road and the handlebars started slapping for about 3 seconds and I finally got it stopped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts