Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very interesting topic to me because I am considering a trailer and a trailer thread got me to considering how to do that.

Question: How do you confirm the tongue weight? In other words, how do you go about knowing how much weight you are putting on the tongue? What is the process for calculating that weight?

thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
One guy said if you can't lift it up easily off the ground with one hand...it's too heavy. I suppose you could use a bathroom scale for this. I've never done this though. What say the ones with experience?

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is a very interesting topic to me because I am considering a trailer and a trailer thread got me to considering how to do that.

Question: How do you confirm the tongue weight? In other words, how do you go about knowing how much weight you are putting on the tongue? What is the process for calculating that weight?

thanks,
I do not have a sciencetific explantion as to how to accurately calculate the tongue weight. However, I have been pulling trailers behind my motorcycles for over 10 years now. I have heard and read that using a fish scale is a very accurate way of getting the exact weight. And it does make sence. What I have done is lift up the trailer while empty with two fingers (no reason for two fingers) and get a feel for the empty weight. I then load my trailer using common sence. Most of the weight (the majority) on the wheels, a little more behind the wheels and as light as I can infront of the wheels, I then check the weight by lifting up on the tongue again and see if it feels about the same or as close as possible. I also set the empty trailer on the hitch to see how much the bike settles, then do the same thing when the trailer is loaded. These methods have worked successfully for me over the years. Again, common sence and proper hitch/trailer alignment, weight distribution, setting the bike preload, and tire pressure(s) all affect the handling of the bike and trailer. Hope this is somewhat helpful. :) Works for me.....

·
Registered
145 Posts

thanks,
PS: I have looked at a lot of trailers before purchasing my current trailer and the tongue weight varied considerablely with different manufactures and designs. Some were just inherently heavy when empty so I would also add that the design and make would make a significant difference. Some trailers should not be on the market and beware of the home made, build your own kits.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
What I did back when, was using a balance scale (properly levelled naturally) load the trailer as planned to pull and set the tongue on the scale pan. It isn't perfect but it's a good guidline. You shouldn't have more than 15% of your total trailer (loaded) weight on the scale/hitch. Make sure you don't have anything impeding the downforce of the trailer tongue or you'll get an erroneous reading on the scale.

·
Registered
30 Posts
About 15% of the total gross weight ought to be on the tongue.

You would have to guess at the loaded weight but if, for example, the weight of the empty trailer is 175 pounds and you guestimate that you have loaded about 250 additional pounds of stuff, your total gross weight will be 425 pounds.

15% of that is about 64 pounds so just take a bathroom scale and put it under the tongue. If it is in the 64 pound range you are good to go. If it is a lot less, move some stuff to the front or vice versa.

rickrae

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get the idea now... the scale thing.

thanks for the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts