Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I'm in the process of buying a 1984 GL1200I. I've been riding for a while now (Shadow 750, Vulcan 700, etc) but this will be my first "big" bike.

Any advice for somebody new to riding a wing? From the tiny bit I rode it, it definitely seems to handle differently than the cruisers I've been on so far. I've got a feeling that I'll be taking my time on some back roads before feeling confident with the larger bike / big bars, etc.

-Rich

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it. The bike has a low center of gravity, so it is quite easy to ride. It will probably be a bit slower than what you are used to. The only caveat I would give is that the braking is nowhere near what I was used to, coming off straight four bikes. A lot of weight and not that much braking power in a bike of a similar vintage.

That, and keep in mind your bike is a quarter century old, and that will affect the maintenance. Ride on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome to the GW site Rich,you'll find a lot of good info here from a bunch of good guys that have a lifetime of experience riding MC's and especially Goldwings.
My first Wing was an 83 Interstate,many miles long distance riding with a passenger and pulling a light trailer,never let me down once,general maintenance and care,tires,brakes,thats about it.Now I ride a 85 LTD which has been an awesome ride so far. I did notice a low speed head shake when I took one hand off the grip at about 10 MPH never noticed it on the 83 so not sure if the 84 will do it.Something others might comment on here. You did'nt say which model of 84. For long trips,a comfortable dependable quiet ride these bikes can't be beat. If I had deep pockets I'd buy an 1800 but still hang onto the 85LTD. Its a 25 year old bike and still turns heads,most important it always gets me there and back again no matter where I go.

Robert

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... YOU WILL FIND THAT WINGS RIDE -WITH- YOU ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. BSTAR ... I HAVE THAT PROBLEM ALSO WHEN I'M RIDING MY 85 LTD ... I THOUGHT IT IS MY 'VERY GOOD LOOKS' THAT BROUGHT ON THE STARES AND COMMENTS ... YOU MEAN IT'S THE BIKE (sniff - sniff) ...

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) Wing. Where do you call home?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

@bstar - it's an Interstate.

@Two Wheel Wing - I'm from SouthWest VA. We still have a little bit of decent weather left this year. Of course, it will be a whole lot easier to ride behind that big windshield on a cold day!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF duckwing, you'll make the move and get comfortable on the wing in no time. i had not been on a bike in ten years so i got my 450 and three weeks later got the 1200a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts