Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the desire to get a 2001 to 2005, 1800.
Anything to watch out for. I don't have any problems spotting the obvious but not knowing these bikes I thought I should ask. I had a 2000 Valk with 78 K that was bullet proof for me,
Thanks...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Call a dealer with the VIN# of any you are serious about to check if the frame recall has been performed. I Own a 1500SE,but i do know that about the 1800. A friend bought a 1800 trike,she called it in to our local dealer,they confirmed it had not been done,but refused to inspect it due to the conversion.She had a local shop ck. it out,was ok.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
As drmcmtru said, check the VIN number out at a dealer and make sure all the recalls have been done, If you can swing the extra cash I would look for an 06 or newer. They have bigger radiators, better radios and a lot of the problems from the early 1800's were taken care of. Plus some of them came with heated grips and seats, and a NAVI system, if your into that kind of stuff. I had an 02 and loved it, but even after the frame recall is done there are still some that have had frame cracks in other places than where it was re welded.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
i have an 05 30th annerv.and there was no recalls for that yr.as for the other stuff,i added a tomtom rider gps,a 200 watt bazooka amp,j&m speakers which blows away the 06 40 watt system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 04 only problem to have repaired was the right side locking compartment would not stay closed. Plan on buying at least one set of tires a year, two if your lucky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 04 only problem to have repaired was the right side locking compartment would not stay closed. Plan on buying at least one set of tires a year, two if your lucky.
Whats up with the tire thing?
Are they odd sized and difficult to find a replacement?
Why are they hard on tires? Are soft tires the only ones available?

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Whats up with the tire thing?
Are they odd sized and difficult to find a replacement?
Why are they hard on tires? Are soft tires the only ones available?
There are two threads on any motorcycle forum that generate alot of opinions and controversy : Oil and Tires. I have an 08 that the previous owner bought last February and commuted daily to work on. The bike has 10,200 miles. The tires are in great tread shape. My riding will be highway miles so I expect to eat them up faster. I think most agree that 15 to 20 thousand miles is a good average life of the stock Wing tires. Now sit back and wait for the conflicting opinions to follow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are two threads on any motorcycle forum that generate alot of opinions and controversy : Oil and Tires. I have an 08 that the previous owner bought last February and commuted daily to work on. The bike has 10,200 miles. The tires are in great tread shape. My riding will be highway miles so I expect to eat them up faster. I think most agree that 15 to 20 thousand miles is a good average life of the stock Wing tires. Now sit back and wait for the conflicting opinions to follow.
That mileage would be exceptable, if these wings are like the Valk I owned there are few options for tires. i hope things have changed..

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
It goes to show how the type of riding affects wear. I expect to squeeze 15,000 out if these tires so that should take me through this year's " riding " season. I'll replace them with the stock type and no doubt next year. I do know that the best tire available is the one the " salesman " is selling you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That mileage would be exceptable, if these wings are like the Valk I owned there are few options for tires. i hope things have changed..
I never even got 8K out of the rear tire on a stock Valkyrie. When I went to the darkside it saved me loads of money. If I could have gotten 15-20K out of a rear tire I would have even tried the car tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never even got 8K out of the rear tire on a stock Valkyrie. When I went to the darkside it saved me loads of money. If I could have gotten 15-20K out of a rear tire I would have even tried the car tire.
I went to the dark side on my Valk and did not like it. I did not go back, However I would probably not do it again..

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
car tire

i use a goodyear assurance p205 55r 16 on my 05 wing,it's alittle diff at first.much better traction,will probally get 50,000 miles on it,and as for cornering ,you would have to lean the bike beyond the scrapeing the boards to run out of good traction & i have never even came that close

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i use a goodyear assurance p205 55r 16 on my 05 wing,it's alittle diff at first.much better traction,will probally get 50,000 miles on it,and as for cornering ,you would have to lean the bike beyond the scrapeing the boards to run out of good traction & i have never even came that close
I leaned the hell out of that Valk with the car tire, what I really did not like was the "bump steer" you get when the pavement is uneven or slopes greatly to one side.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
car tire

don't really get much of that,probally because of the wings sportbike box frame construction & single side swingarm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 43000 miles on my wing and I'm on the 4th set of tires. Perhaps I ride a little harder than some of you. When I replace the tires the back tires are so worn that they stand up by there selfs. My last bike a valk. it was no better than what I get now. Maybe the roads here in Texas are rougher on tires. What do Yall think.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Now who opened Pandora's box this time Chopin?

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
" Pandora had been given a large jar and instruction by Zeus to keep it closed, but she had also been given the gift of curiosity, and ultimately opened it. When she did so, all of the evils, ills, diseases, and burdensome labor that mankind had not known previously, escaped from the jar, but it is said, that at the very bottom of her jar, there lay hope." Oops !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts