Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

buying a used 2008 Goldwing

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2008 stage 4 Goldwing. When we started it up in his garage, the engine made a high pitched whine(whistle). He said that this is normal for a Goldwing at idle. I had started another one prior to this one & don't remember the same noise. Any advise?
:confused:

#2 ·
Very likely it's an alternator whine. Some 1800's are more noticeable than others, mine's actually fairly quiet.

#4 ·
That is the alternator whine for sure. I have an 08' and I can tell you that there is almost no way you can damage the GL1800 engine!
If you could go into the bikes CPU and harvest the data from mine, you would see most of my highway miles are in the 4000rpm range. Average commute speed is around 90-100:D

I ride it HARD a lot, probably too hard but it doesn't seem to mind the abuse and sounds/runs today, 10k miles later like it did the day I rode it off the showroom floor!

Matter of fact, I am on the forums a lot, here and elsewhere, and I do not recall a single thread where someone blew an engine. Well except for the guy who turned his wing into a GL1800 Turbo, that one did not last long from what I heard.

I would not be scared to buy any GL1800 that ran smooth, shifts thru the gears fine and looks taken care of.

Buy one and ride the crap out of it!

#5 ·
Could be the alternator or could be the FI system (both can be loud) But it's not uncommon and unless you think it's excessive, I would not worry about it. If you are not comfortable with it, then walk away from the deal...

#6 ·
if this is the first GL1800 you have looked at, might be a good idea to go see and hear a few of them.
You will get a good idea of what it is suppose to sound like.
If I had to describe it, I would compare the sound of a wing to the "Jetsons" family hover car as it speeds off.......LOL

#10 ·
if this is the first gl1800 you have looked at, might be a good idea to go see and hear a few of them.
You will get a good idea of what it is suppose to sound like.
If i had to describe it, i would compare the sound of a wing to the "jetsons" family hover car as it speeds off.......lol
perfect analogy!! Thanks :d

#15 ·
Sorry for the delay JER878, but I was about to tell you to see a dealer, it's painless. Glad you're sorted now.

#17 ·
Is there a Honda Dealer in Vegas? "What happens in Vegas..." kinda leaves you off the hook I'd say. Hmmm, aren't you out that way each spring?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.